Will car battery work?

bryanredfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In preparation for a fishing trip, I feel the need to take along a spare battery. Is it possible to use an automobile battery as a back-up? If so, what would you recommend? Thanks much for your input.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Will car battery work?

Sure. If you have more than one spare take the one with the most cold cranking amps. I have been buying my marine batteries at Wal Mart and have been satisfied.<br /><br />I have been known to save a buck here and there but never on batteries or marine oil. I also start my motors at home before I head for the ramp. Real sad to see Mom, Dad and the kids sitting in a just launched boat that won't start due to a dead battery.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

A automobile battery in a marine environment is a poor choice. Marine batteries are built so they can take the physical shock encountered on the water.

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Search previous posts on this subject.

sloopy

Commander

marine batteries have a deeper setiment tank. meaning the pltes are not hittin the dirt in a care its flat nice and happy. In a boat its being roled around and sprayed with salt and is lockd away in an unveted place(I use AGM) with auto battery the stuff falling off the plates will get mixed around! sme thing with a marine, but less as likly

JRJ

Commander

For a spare, yes the auto battery would do.

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Due to the sediment problem, an old car battery will fail on you, just when you need it the most. It'll get you out on the water, and leave you there. If this sounds like the voice of experience....it is. It took me two sessions to learn. My friend in tne battery building business was right. Marine starting batteries have a deeper sediment chamber in the bottom of the battery. That's the only difference.

JRJ

Commander

I took his question as "an emergency" backup. Your best bet if you are going to buy, is get a new marine battery and put it on the boat. Keep the old marine battery as a spare if it still has life. Sorry if I misled you earlier. :eek: