1989 Evinrude 150 V6 Rough Idle... Where to Start?

tntwalker

Seaman Apprentice
Hey boating experts! I come to you with what is hopefully a simple problem!<br /><br />I have a 1989 Stratos F&S with a 1989 Evinrude 150 V6 with the VRO still intact and functioning (ie... oil is mixing okay). The engine idles terribly rough and dies unless I prime the bulb or rev the motor in neutral. The boat appears to run fine at speed and tops out at 55mph.<br /><br />The boat has two permanently installed 15 gallon fuel tanks with a switch between them. Both of which are vented to the outside and have no apparent obstructions. The boat idles rough and dies using either tank.<br /><br />What are the basic steps to take in remedying this problem. Obviously I'd like to rule out the most simple problems first before diving into the VRO and engine itself.... Any tests that I can perform along the way would help enormously.<br /><br />Thanks for your help!<br /><br />Tim

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Evinrude 150 V6 Rough Idle... Where to Start?

Tim - Your description fits the "crud in the carbs" symptom. Time for a rebuild. When you do them I would recommend that you use high pressure compressed air to blow out the crud in the little passages that you can't see.

hunt-fish.com

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1989 Evinrude 150 V6 Rough Idle... Where to Start?

Check all of your fuel lines for air leaks. If the primer bulb doesn't stay firm when pumped up there's a leak. I had a real problem with the plastic hose clamps that Johnson put on at the factory with my 1990 115. After that I'd try mixing marvel mystery oil in the fuel to clean out the system. Read the label for mixture, it's available at Wal-mart. If that doesn't do it your carburetor may need to be rebuilt.<br /><br />John