Mercury vs. Evinrude??Best for the money??

Bearcamp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I have a question for ya. I've been lookin for a motor for my 14 ft. jon boat and have found 2 that friends of mine have. The first is an 1985 Mercury 9.8 hp. for 350.00, no tank and the second is an 1996 Evinrude 15 hp, 500.00, 2 tanks (one new) Both are in good condition and operate well. Water pump works good, forward and reverse gears work good and both start right up, idle and throttle up. Which is the best buy? I would think the Evinrude, but then again I don't know much about them. (Evinrudes) Is there anything I should look for on either. I value your opinions very much, so help me out please before purchasing one.

rterrian

Seaman
Re: Mercury vs. Evinrude??Best for the money??

Both are good brands. I think you would be happier with the 15 hp. But the shape the engines are in would be the deturmining factor in which to buy. I think the 9.9 is a little light for the 14 ft boat, but that's just my opinion.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

For $150 more, I believe I'd go with the motor that's 11 years newer. Think you would be more satisfied with the 15 Hp, too.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i would go with the evinrude it is easer to work on .and as jack said 150.00 .and you have the power to go with a bigger boat if needed. :D

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Besides price 2 other things enter in here.<br /><br />1. Total hours if you can get a ball park figure on both.<br /><br />2. TLC they received even though the Eavie only 1/2 as old as the Merc it could be in better condition.<br /><br />3. Get compression check on both before you decide.<br />That will be like giving it a CATSCAN.<br /><br />I'm always a OMC person so I would look the hardest at the Eavie