Smoking - Johnson 60 - Trolling Speed

Bradleyd

Recruit
Talked to a "Johnson" man yesterday. His advice was to confirm the thermostat was working properly. He said if the head is not hot enough when trolling, that could contribute to the prblem if not cause it. Apparently Johnson has had some problems with the thermostat sticking open. This could be an issue sine the water temperature on my last outing was 36 degrees F. Will keep you posted when I have a chance to check it out.<br /><br />Smokey.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Smoking - Johnson 60 - Trolling Speed

Hi, Smokey.<br /><br />What model? Oil injected or premix? How much smoke?<br /><br />Let us know. :)

Bradleyd

Recruit
Re: Smoking - Johnson 60 - Trolling Speed

It's a 1996 Johnson 60HP. Model J60TTLEDR. Oil injected, lots of smoke at idle speed and not really running smooth. I had it out yesterday and ran it hard for 15 minutes or so. Just purrs at high speed but does not like the lower RPMs. Really smokes at idle/trolling speed. After idling for a while I checked the head temperature, and could not keep my hand on it very long. So I think the thermostat must be restricting flow the way it is supposed to. Water temp still cold - <50 degrees.<br />I like the way this Johnson gets the boat out of the water but it's a little concerning to lay a smoke screen when trolling. Have read quite a few letters about possible fuel restrictions etc. but it seems to be getting all the gas it needs at high speeds.<br />Any tips, help would be much appreciated.<br /><br />Smokey -