exhaust 15 hp

rareheir5

Cadet
I have a 15 horse johnson 1979. I noticed yesterday after fishing, I was letting the gas run out at the end of the day and I noticed water coming out of the ports at the top of the shaftwhile it was ideling.<br />Brought it home and tested with the hose and it wasns't as much ( water)coming out.I have a steady sream out of the **** hole.Motor runs great and doesn't get hot. Am I missing something.<br />Thanks for your time.<br />David

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: exhaust 15 hp

Hi rareheir...<br /><br />Are you talking about the ports at he rear of the engine on the exhaust housing just below the lower engine pan? If so....and from your post...<br /><br />You should see very little water from this port until the T-stat opens up. Then it will begin to come out of these ports. Usually, if water starts out these ports right away it means the T-stat is stuck open and needs replaced. At idle and with the engine warm, you should be able to lay your fingers on the flat spot on top of the engine just behind the head and keep them there for several seconds before having to remove them. If the engine feels cold after having run a while, then the T-stat should be replaced.<br /><br />Keep us posted....Thanks!!

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Rareheir<br />If you are talking about the exhaust relief port,( a 3/8 inch hole at the back of engine just below cover latch) then this is 100 percent normal. This is exhaust relief port and running on the muff there is no back pressure so exhuast exits out the prop. When in the water should get some exhaust and water spray out this port. Get a more spray if have a long shaft.

rareheir5

Cadet

thank you outboardjim & boatist<br />Yes I am talking about the 2 holes just below the cover. I did notice that the motor runs cool. even the flow from the pee hole is cool.Is this something I should replace ( t-stat ) right away?<br />David