79 Johnson 4hp carb rebuild

Ranger Dave

Cadet
What parts do I need to rebuild the carb on the mighty Johnson 4hp? It seems to run lean at wide open throttle. If I pull the chock just slightly the rpms go up.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 79 Johnson 4hp carb rebuild

Dave...<br /><br />A carb kit will give you all the parts you need to rebuild/clean your carb. From your post, it sounds like the high speed jet is being partially plugged causing the lean condition. I would not run the engine in this condition. A lean mix can cause major engine damage to the cylinders. Hope I've helped.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What model number is your engine, Dave? Does it have an integral tank or remote tank and fuel pump? Are there mixture adjustment knobs on the front?<br /><br />If you need to ask how to clean your carb you need a Repair Manual. Bottom of the page, click on Repair Manuals.<br /><br />Over the life of the 4 hp models there have been numerous changes, so you need to know what you have.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Oooops! Never mind. I finally noticed the year in your topic.<br /><br />Sorry.

Ranger Dave

Cadet

It is a 1979 4hp weedless lower unit. It has an internal fuel tank. Any one know the capacity of this tank? It has a low speed mixture.<br /><br />I picked up a used repair manual today for it for a buck. Not a bad deal, eh? I took the carb off and the float looks nasty.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dave....if the float looks nasty.....get the carb kit and rebuild it. It's easy and will give the old girl a boost. Use the manual. Please.