How much fuel do I need with Force 50?

xkorpio69

Cadet
I am planning a trip to Catalina Island. i have a 15 foot Bayliner with a Force 50 engine. The island is about 24 miles offshore and I have no Idea how much fuel I would need to and from there. Can anyone help me????<br />thanks

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How much fuel do I need with Force 50?

I guess no one wants to touch this one but I will offer this. I know little about the water between Catalina Island and the mainland, except that a small boat to make the trip would be over 20' and designed for offshore. It is not prudent to take a 15' Boat offshore...even a mile, although some do it. We all have to calculate our own risks and spin the wheel. :eek: <br /><br />If you are serious, which I doubt, I would say your experience level is very low if you cannot calculate your own fuel usage.....given that......you should take the ferry or a chopper to the island. Wish I could go! :D

Trent

Captain

RULE OF THUMB is 1 Gallon of fuel per every ten HP. at wide open throttle. So your engine is going to burn around 5 gallons per hour at WOT.<br /><br />Coast Guards rule of thumb is to use 1/4 of your fuel to go out. And 3/4 of your fuel to return so you will have plenty of fuel in case you get lost or the weather turns bad.<br /><br />You would not catch me in a 15 foot boat going offshore...NEVER

sony2001

Chief Petty Officer

USE THE COMPASS AND TIME METHOD. Compass heading , speed constant, at arrival time if your not there add 180 to your heading and head for home. :cool:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Compass Method? At 24 miles the differance between magnetic north and true north he would miss the island! Your only guessing this person can use a compass!<br /><br />GPS, Loran etc. The best way is to consult the Coast Guard (since they will be invloved in the search and rescue it will give them an edge).<br /><br />Basically in a 15' boat you can't be serious! Hey you planning to take other people? I guess everyone is entitled to dream but this could turn into your worst nightmare :eek: <br /><br />Bob