four stroke- changing motor oil

billy-bobby

Seaman Apprentice
I'm new to owning a four stroke (2003,Yammie 9,9).<br />It seems simple enough to change my own oil, but I am wondering what kind of oil to use. Do I use same kind, and brand I would put in my car, such as Penzoil, Quaker State, etc? And what weight for summer operation ( 10w30?).<br />Also, I am wondering about changing oil filter. Does it have to be changed each time?<br /><br />As far as changing gear oil, does the four stroke use same kind of gear oil as I used for my evinrude 2 stroke?<br /><br />thanks

D

DJ

Re: four stroke- changing motor oil

BB,<br /><br />What does the owners manual say. I'd follow those instructions.<br /><br />As for the gear oil, yes, they would be the same.

Forktail

Ensign
Re: four stroke- changing motor oil

Recommended oil for this outboard is either 10W-30 or 10W-40. Any automotive brand will work, but it must have the API specification of SE, SF, SE-SF, or SE-SF-CC. You'll only need 1 quart.<br /><br />This outboard will not have a "spin-on" type oil filter. The filter is located aft of the dipstick in a tube looking cartridge housing with a bolt head on top. This filter can be cleaned with solvent and reused many times before replacing. Clean it carefully, it is easy to damage. You should clean the filter each time you change the oil (every 100 hours).<br /><br />Recommended gear oil is outboard hypoid SAE 90. Takes about 11 oz.