Johnson 60hp -82, coldstart problem.

jonas76

Recruit
Hello<br />I'va terrible troubles starting my 60hp Johnson. Could someone please explain how the choke system should work.<br />If I press and hold the key as I crank the engine the first throttle (guess this one is linked to the choke) is closed due to a solenoid which pulls. But this shuts the air out so the engine doesn't start. The only way I'va managed to statrt the engine is to pull the lever at the first throttle backwards to force that throttle open. I've placed that lever behind a nut so that will always stay open. The spring that is mounted on the solenoid arm is VERY slack, almost seems out of order.<br /><br />Did I do wrong in forcing it open?

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Johnson 60hp -82, coldstart problem.

The choke needs to close just as it was designed to do.<br /><br />If your choke is activated by the pusing in on the key,<br /><br />Push key and hold key inward during first start of the day and maybe needed if motor is allowed to cool off for extended periods during cold weather.<br /><br />As motor begins to fire during the cranking process, release your hold against twisting action but retain your push inwards for about a second or two, then release key to the run position.<br /><br />As it might stumble and begin to stall it is ok tto push the key for a moment again closing off the choke butterfly valve,<br /><br /> causing a negative pressure in the carburettor body<br /><br /> making fuel escape from the float bowl and highly richen the fuel to air ratio.

jonas76

Recruit

ok, but how can the engine start with the first throttle closed? When I release the key from pushed in, should the throttle then open? I don't think that it does that, I stays closed.<br /><br />Could I place a smaler spring that helps the throttle to open once it has been closed and I release the key from choke-position?<br /><br />Bloody cold in Sweden so I realy need the coldstarts to work.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

The throttle plate inside the carb has a big old chunk cut out of it allowing only the right amout of air to get by for idle conditions. It's not till half throttle on most outboards that the throttle even starts to open.<br /><br />Anyway, look on your controller for a idle Warm up lever. It will allow you to raise the idle a bit during "Warm up"<br /><br />Some controllers have a lever for warm up and sone have a button you push, or pull the lever away from the wall to release the throttle from shifting gear, during warm up, and need for fast idle.

jonas76

Recruit

ok, but still, once I press the key the first throttle close, thus no air to the engine. Should that throttle flex open when I release the key? I think that throttle stays closed as soon as I turn the key, no matter if it is pressed in or not.<br />I've always raised the idle lever a bit to give the engine some extra fuel.

Walker

Captain

If all your linkage is operating correctly and none of it is stuck then once the enging fires the intake pulses of air will pull the choke plates open.

jonas76

Recruit

aha, so thats how it should work!<br /><br />Must release the lever then so that the system can work on its own.

Walker

Captain

Jonas, some of those type choke systems also had a safety pin shaped spring on the side to hold the choke plate open too.

jonas76

Recruit

Mine has no pin to help it open, and I once dismounted the airbox to find the throttle problem. Once I had the motor running and so much as slightly shut the first throttle the enigne started hesitating. Is the first throttle in some way connected to the fuel supply or is it onlyu governing the air supply?

Walker

Captain

It only governs the air supply directly. Indirectly when its closed it creats more vacume to the carb to pull more fuel up. More fuel plus less air to create a richer mixture for cold start.