Intermitent beeping from shifter...

Dave CFI

Cadet
I have an 1985 Evinrude VRO 90hp outboard motor.<br />I keep getting a beeping noise from the shifter (which is an OMC by the way)...it's not constant. It just keeps going beep...beep...beep. It beeps about once a second. If I shut the motor off and restart it, it won't beep for about a minute of 2 and then starts again.<br />This motor doesn't have an oil reservoir...I have to mix the oil with the gas. I don't think it is overheating...water is coming out in a good stream from the "pee hole" and the water is quite cold coming out of it. (Don't know if that makes any difference at all.)<br />I should mention that I removed this motor while I rebuilt my transom and just put it back on when it started doing this. I'm sure the wiring is just like it was befor I removed it. I had to splice some wires back together for one of the plugs but I got them right back like they were before.<br />Any suggestions???<br /><br />Thanks, <br />Dave CFI

ob

Admiral
Re: Intermitent beeping from shifter...

Dave ,Sounds like you still have the VRO alarm wires connected.Rapid short tones indicates no oil alarm from VRO pump.There is an amphenol plug in line with the wires leading from the VRO pump.This plug should be disconnected if mixing 50:1 .

Dave CFI

Cadet

OB,<br />Thanks for the quick response! However, I hooked everything back up the way it was to begin with. What is an amphenol plug? Where is the VRO pump located? There is a big red plug with several wires on it...that is the plug that I had to splice...there are about 4 wires from the plug that are not in use. I took care to write down the colors of the wires that were spliced before disconnecting them so that I could get them back the way they were. Also, the 4 wires coming off the plug that are not in use are just cut off...the ends are not bared so I know that those were never in use.<br /><br />I have another question...How often should the spark plugs be changed and what about different brands? The ones in there now are Champion could I also use NGK or is that not recommended? What are the specs for gapping on this motor?<br /><br />Sorry for my ignorance but this is my first boat and I don't know where else to turn.<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Dave CFI

ob

Admiral

Dave,Once a season is sufficient for sparkplug replacement unless you use your rig daily.Your engine calls for champion QL77JC4 gapped at .030.I personally don't recommend using other brands of plugs other than what the manufacturer recommends.<br /><br />The VRO pump is located under the lower carburetor area of the engine compartment.You can trace the fuel line to it.You should be able to see the wires leading from it once located.There will be three wires.<br />The large red plug that you refer to is not the alarm harness.Amphenol plug is just a fancy name for a black cylindrical shaped male to female rubber connector that splices the alarm wires from the VRO pump to the alarm module.This should be located on the port side ( left) of engine compartment.When you locate the VRO pump, also insure that the oil hose or nipple on the oil half of the VRO pump is plugged or capped off since your setup is using 50:1 premix.

Dave CFI

Cadet

ob,<br />Thanks a LOT! I did what you said and it solved the problem. After locating the amphenol plug that you described it occured to me that I may have hooked those two plugs together BEFORE I removed my motor. Anyhow, just took it out today and it didn't holler at me all day long.<br />Also changed the spark plugs and gapped them at .030 and it ran like a champ!<br />Thanks again...in my neck of the woods it is hard to find anyone to help me. All they tell you around here is "Buy a new boat". Just so happens that they'd sell you one too. There is nothing wrong with my boat that a little TLC won't cure but I can't find anybody to offer any advice. Sure am glad I found this forum.<br /><br />Dave CFI

ob

Admiral

Dave we're always happy to help and I'm glad that solved your problem.Thanks for posting back.