75 johnson flywheel gets hot

zin

Recruit
I have a 1977 75 Johnson. I have replaced the rect. 3 coils, power pack and switch. Motor will not start with the new coils, put old one's back on it runs fine. The problem is the flywheel gets very, very hot. I do not have a volt gauge, but I think the stator is putting out to much voltage. I.E. the new ign. switch is now shorted on the kill wire just like the first. Adle 303 volts on rect. wires, 293 on sensor wires, 93 on brown and brown orange wires to power pack. Note new coils read 304 ohms between trigger and plug wire, old one's are open.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 75 johnson flywheel gets hot

Zin, I am not sure what your problem is with your wiring! But I can assure you the fly wheel getting hot isn't an issue. My fly wheel gets so hot you can touch it with you hand after running.(70 hp evinrude) Remember the fly wheel is coonnected to the crank and the water is cooling around the pistons and exhaust! The sell heat sticks at napa to test the temp. But if your enging was getting to hot the warning buzzer would sound and the motor would shut down to 1500 rpms. The water comming out the tell tail would be hot and it never gets hot. the water comming out the relife valves on the back of the motor should be warm warm almost hot. Feel the engine not the fly wheel this will let you know the engine is not overheating. I haven't seen a motor fly wheel not be hot to the touch!<br />steve

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

zin - Get the shop manual for your motor and follow the troubleshooting procedures. You will end up spending less than you are now replacing part by part.

zin

Recruit

Thanks, but I have a manual. It does not give the spec's all the voltage and ohm's spec's. It runs fine until the kill circuit shorts in the switch. I am on my third switch now. All wiring is just as is it is in the manual. Rewired everything no change.