loss of power

Smokin90hp

Recruit
my 1987 johnson 90 hp is driving me crazy. when the boat first gets in the water it runs like a champ. after 3-5 minutes of running it loses power;almost to the point that is doesnt want to plane. a new power pack, new plugs, thermostat kit, vro pump have been changed. need help!!!

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: loss of power

Sounds like you've fixed everything except what was broke. Next time out, be sure fuel tank vent is open. Squeeze the bulb and see if it's full of fuel or not. Give the primer / choke a coupla good bumps and see what happens. All these things will insure fuel too the carburetors. If that doesn't have any effect, fill a squirt bottle with premix and give the carbs a direct injections of fuel. Do all these things while the engine is struggling. If none of these "procedures" have any effect, you're gonna have to start looking at ignition stuff.<br /><br />Keep in touch & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Smokin90hp

Recruit

i have tried all of your suggestions before and still did the same thing. so im gonna go with you and say that it is something in the ignition. Maybe the stator? could you tell me how to check it and/or give me a list of things i can check in the ignition system. thanks

met128

Seaman Apprentice

I would suggest checking your coils. They can get hot and become resistive. Also double check your ground at the CDI box and coil grounds.