Octane - Does it matter?

Carphunter

Commander
I have a 1981 Johnson 115 V4, does it really matter what octane gasoline I use? Does it hurt to mix different octanes? Around here, 87 to 93 octane gas is readily available, I would have to search for anything higher.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Octane - Does it matter?

Howdy, Carphunter.<br /><br />Your engine will do just fine on 87 octane unleaded (alcohol-free). <br /><br />The only effect of using higher octane that you would notice is a lighter wallet.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

22WRF

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the labels on the pump.<br />If any octane contains Methanol it must be posted on the pump.<br />Most higher octane contain Methanol which eats up rubber.<br />Nearly all 87 is Methanol free.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Are there any common outboards (unmodified) that require anything higher than 87 octane?

JB

Hi, JimD.<br /><br />Several of the 4 stroke manuals suggest higher octane, alcohol free gas but all set minimum octane at 87.<br /><br />Both my 2001 Suzuki DF70 and my 1996 Johnson 9.9 4 stroke manuals say 87 minimum but recommend higher if available.<br /><br />I am not awarer of any 2 strokes that call for higher octane than 87.

G DANE

Commander

Hi all<br /><br />Here in Denmark the lowest octane is 92, 95 and 98 is available everywhere too. I always used 92 unleaded, guess it is allright.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Higher octanes work better with higher compression ratios, such as two stroke outboards, 87 will be fine but I try to use the higher stuff when I can, i'm not sure what effect methanol would have on an outboard.

JB

Two stroke engines have dismally low true compression ratios compared to most 4 strokes, due to the method of scavenging. Very few, highly modified 2 strokes can benefit from high octane fuel.<br /><br />G Dane.<br /><br />Your RON octane rating system is different than the one used in US. Your 90 octane is equivalent to our 87 octane.

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting in most engines. <br /><br />The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more. <br /><br />The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, methane, propane and butane are all hydrocarbons. Methane has a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together. <br /><br />It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane (but the actual amount of the octane hydrocarbon can be lower and simulated higher with chemicals) and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.