power head planing

mnwild

Recruit
I recently took my 83 35h johnson in to a machine shop to be planed. The guy skewed the cut on my power head and my pistons stick out of my block. Example of the skew the bottom piston's bottom is around 1/32 stick out and the top of the top piston is around 1/8 stick out. He suggested double up on gaskets. Or bouring out my head to give clearance. What do you think? I just don't trust the guy and need to get somebody elses opion.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: power head planing

I dont know if thats okay or not but I will say that it would make me VERY uncomfortable that he offset the block like that, if they were both the same then maybe thats a little different, but listen to some others on here, good luck.<br />-John

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think this will get more response in the Outboard Engines Forum.<br /><br />Moving it there.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If he took off more than .005" it can be a problem. It sounds as if he did. <br /><br />You can try doubling the gaskets but we've never had much success with the outboard gaskets. You can double up the Chevy "tin" gaskets as they have a "tongue and groove" design that will fit into each other and seal.<br /><br />The clearance check is to bolt on the head without a gasket and turn the motor over by hand. If the pistons touch, they will hit when its run with the gasket in place -- most likely at higher rpm. If he cut way too much then they may hit even at lower rpm. It may not turn over at all. <br /><br />On hi-performance motors we cut head chambers all the time. You can cut yours but its going to be a "band aid" type deal at best and involve trial and error. If you end up with too much compression you could damage a piston. <br /><br />Personally I would get another block. They shouldnt be that hard to find. <br /><br />Good luck!