Max Power on 18' Dixie Runabout

whatsadixie

Seaman
I own a 1985 dixie Runabout with a Johnson 120 on it that has a mind of its own and was thinking of replacing it. Was thinking of replacing it with a 140 to 160 but that may be to much for this boat any help would be great<br /><br />thanks

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Max Power on 18' Dixie Runabout

What is rated max HP on the USCG capacity plate? There's also a link here somewhere (I think on the Projects Boat forum) that goes to the USCG document that explains how to calculate max HP. I've been researching new 18' bowriders and most have 140 or 150 as max HP. I can't remember any that rated out over 150. Some 18' bass rigs I've seen rate at 175 or 200 (or maybe they were 19'). Also, keep in mind a new(er) motor will likely feel much stronger than your 120 if its gotten tired.<br /><br />BL...

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your boat should have a rated horsepower from the mfr, or else there is a PDF file with a formula on the US coast guard web site for calculating it (it has been posted here before and I think it is is indexed on the USCG site as info for home built boats). You may hear different advice, but my opinion is stick to your rated hp in order to preserve your insurance and avoid a citation in some states. If you want us to guess, tell us how long is your dixie, what kind of hull shape, and how wide is the transom?

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

oops, didn't read the header. If it's a true 18' you can probably get at least a 140 on it.

whatsadixie

Seaman

i found the site I gess is time to do some get out the yard stick and the calculator. :D :D :D

whatsadixie

Seaman

Lets try that again and this time in english: <br />I found the site, I guess it is time to get out the yard stick and the calculator. :D :D :D :D

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My son has a (1984 model?), Dixie 17 foot, "Fish and Ski" with a Johnson 135 on it. It is a deep "V", the boat (not the moter) draws close to 13-inches of water when just floating. It only goes 53Mph according to my GPS. That is with a good load, going out for an all day striper fishing trip with three anglers. It could take more power, as there are a few jet-skies that he can't catch. ;) <br /><br />Actually I don't think it really needs any more power, but it doesn't need any less either. It is a very heavy boat for its size. He gets up on the railing (6-inches) and walks from one end to the other and the boat is fairly stable, even with his 200 pounds on one side.