Info on late 70's?Evinrude.

pejsmc

Recruit
I've got two boy's to take fishing, so I bought old boat, trailer, outboard etc. I can handle repairs on the boat @ trailer easily enough.However, I have limited experience with outboard motors and I need some information.First of all, I do not know the year and model of my motor. The serial # is 5502s-e04291. Also it has been inside a storage building for 7 years and exposed to extreme heat. Any info as to year/model and service recomendations would be most appreciated.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Info on late 70's?Evinrude.

Hi pejsmc..welcome to the board.<br /><br />You have a 5hp 1965 Rude there.<br /><br />If you have limited knowledge of outboards, take it to a mech and have them check it out top to bottom. Setting for so long, it may need extensive work to get it back on it's "feet" again. Such work could include, carb overhaul, water pump, gear lube change out and testing for leaks of the lower unit, ignition system testing. The little 5 you have is a really great runner and bunches are in use today by folks that would not give them up for nothing. Hope we have helped. Thanks.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Info on late 70's?Evinrude.

Pejsmc.... 1965 5.5hp Evinrude. At a minimum, the carburetor will require removing, cleaning, and rebuilding. There is no question that after sitting for that length of time, it would be fouled.