1969 85hp johnson fouling problems

valor_7

Cadet
1969 85hp johnson outboard, just inherited, have taken it out four times and everytime, faithfully, about 30 to 40 minutes into cruising the motor starts to sputter real bad. The last time it happened I pulled the spark plugs and all but one were fouled pretty good. I've played with the low speed adjustment, book says no more than 1 full turn from seated. Any ideas?<br />Also, the ignition advance arm gets stuck after the motor runs for 20 or 30 minutes. It seems like the aluminum plate under the flywheel is expanding and then sticking. I took out the thermostat to run it cooler and the problem went away. I tested the thermostat by putting it on a burner on low and the it did operate so I'm thinking it's good. Any ideas.

D

DJ

Re: 1969 85hp johnson fouling problems

valor,<br /><br />Your engine running "cold" will definetely foul your plugs. It needs the thermostat to operate properly.<br /><br />The timing plate should not stick. I would remove the flywheel and investigate. It may just need to be lubricated.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1969 85hp johnson fouling problems

Have you serviced the motor - like water pump, gear oil, plugs, fresh fuel, sync & link???