cooling for 57 Johnson RDE-19

dcparizo

Cadet
Does this engine exhaust a "tattle tail" through the upper drive shaft housing???<br /><br />Some motors have a small stream of water that exits through the upper portion of the motor that signifies water circulating through the engine. <br />does this one?<br /><br />A 100hp motor (72 era) had a temp sender/alarm.<br /><br />But I can tell of no way to ensure that the water pump is working correctly on this old 57.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br />Dan

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: cooling for 57 Johnson RDE-19

Hi Dan,<br /> There should be a garden hose like stream of water coming out the thum-sized hole mid-way up the rear of the motor leg. Not a mist, not a fine spray, but a good, constant solid gush of water. There is no other above the waterline exit for water on those motors...<br />- Scott

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not to argue with Chinewalker, but descriptions of this water flow are never the same.<br /><br />I think a garden hose is a bit strong. More like a bathroom shower head at mid-pressure.<br /><br />My two cents....

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Okay, so maybe my garden hose after I've got it kinked around the doghouse... :-{)><br />- Scott

dcparizo

Cadet

Thanks all ...<br /><br />My wife confiscated the garden hose, and won't let me near the plumbing so I'll look for this on the motor ...<br /><br />Thanks all<br /><br />CG.