Power probs......Boy do i need help...75 Johnson 50hp..

barrieboi

Seaman Apprentice
I just purchesed a 15 ft with a Johnson(1975) 50 hp on the back....I took it out and it ran fine until it ran out of that tank....now on land it runs fine but as soon as i get it in water it all changes....seem like idle drops...i put it in gear and it dies or goes real slow....both plugs firin, both carbs were cleaned ...i dont know what else....Any suggestions?

MCook

Recruit
Re: Power probs......Boy do i need help...75 Johnson 50hp..

Assuming you have good spark, good fuel, and good compression. That is a fairly simple cdi ignition engine. A shot in the dark might be the flywheel key is sheered off. When you ran out of gas, did it sputter or backfire? <br /><br />Hope it helps

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Lets start with the basics. Whats the compression? If it ran out of fuel while running hard it may not be a good picture. Lets hope its something like a vent closed on the tank. <br /><br />Are you sure it has constant spark? Have you tried new plugs? How much oil did you add to the fuel?<br /><br />Post the numbers and we'll go from there.<br /><br />Good luck!

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

There are 2 similar posts going on at the same time on this motor.

barrieboi

Seaman Apprentice

yes jim sorry...no one was answerin this one....The numbers are Model 50Es-75b ser# C 34407 i wasnt goin all that fast.......

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You gave it exactly 8 minutes before you posted again, Barrie. You must have mistaken this for a live chat room.<br /><br />There are at least 200 questions a day posted here this time of year.<br /><br />Please read "Suggestions for New Posters" and show some patience.