bottom paint on outboard bracket???

angus63

Captain
95 175hp evinrude on 21' trophy. Bottom 6" of engine mount sits in the water at the dock and grows weed and barnacles. Can I use copper bottom paint on this section of the bracket to prevent this? Are there paints designed for this? Any other solution? Droppin her in on Sunday (sorry MOM) and need to act fast.<br />Thanks

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: bottom paint on outboard bracket???

thats aluminum so you need an aluminum anti-fouling paint and primer :cool:

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

You should not use standard copper based bottom paint on aluminum. They make a specific bottom paint for just this purpose, lower units and stuff. Check your local marine store. They used to have organic tin compounds in them, but I think the tin compounds were outlawed and they're using something else now. Copper sets up galvanic corrosion and will seriously pit the painted part in salt water.

angus63

Captain

Thanks<br />I found lower unit anti-fouling primer (clear) in a spray can ($15!!!). Is this sufficient by itself?

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

angus63 <br /><br />One of the best bottom paints made is International Marine's "Micron 33". I believe it is available in spray cans at West Marine.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />Gold Bear ;)

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Don't know but if it is listed as a primer that sounds more like the undercoating for the bottom paint. If you read the label on the paints they will tell you where you can and cannot use the product.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Go online to westmarine.com and search for bottom paint. Trilux with the biocide cuprous thiocyanate (CuScn) is listed specifically for aluminum hulls and outdrives. This is an organic copper formualtion safe for aluminum as opposed to inorganic metallic copper and copper sulfate.

plugger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OH OH..... DID I JUST GOOF UP ?<br />did the bottom paint last week and had a dab or 2 left...so<br />i brushed some on the edges of the <br />aluminium prop where it was skufed<br />will this eat the surface of the prop\<br />is the SST type made of alumium ?

angus63

Captain

SST= stainless steel<br />Differential metals (sst & copper)= galvanic action. I would try to remove and simply polish the sst prop.