Starting 1983 Evinrude 150

Shawn Stinson

Recruit
I have a 1983 Ranger with a 150 Evinrude engine. I can never get it started at the ramp. It will often start for 1-2 seconds then die. After waiting for 15-20 minutes it will usually start after several attempts. There does not seem to be a difference when choking or not choking on the initial startup. Plus on random occasions this year, the boat will run a fine at idle or using fast idle, but when in gear it will bog down and not reach the power level necessary to get the boat up on plane. After a while of idling around, the problem will disappear..? I went fishing several times with the previous owner, and the problems never occured. I have owned the boat for under a year.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starting 1983 Evinrude 150

Time to decarb the engine and do a compression test. <br /><br />As the engine warms the compression comes up a little. <br /><br />Also check for spark on all cylinders.<br /><br />This will give you some info to start diagnosing the problem.

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starting 1983 Evinrude 150

They are cold blooded let it warm up and idle for a while and heat up. Then through her in neutral and adjust your idle just a little. until you got a nice smooth idle.