40 HP Evinrude Carb Trouble

wildlfe

Cadet
My 40 HP Evinrude upper carb is pouring gas out of a small vent at the upper side of carb. It starts and runs great but the engine housing fills up with raw gas from the upper carb. Anyone know what is happening.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 40 HP Evinrude Carb Trouble

Yea, the carb is overflowing. Could be a heavy float from a leak in it, mal adjusted float level, a bit of debris in the needle seat, a bad needle seat, or the rare internal leak around the needle seat assy.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi ya' wildfire, how goes it?<br /><br />First question, what year is the engine?<br /><br />The gas is coming out the vent probably 'cause the float needle is not shutting off the gas to the carb. This is because either because, <br /><br />1) You have an older 40hp power that used cork floats and it's "water logged" to the point it won't float.<br /><br />2) The needle is worn completely out and won't shut the gas off.<br /><br />3) The float setting is not correct.<br /><br />4) All the above.<br /><br />It would be good to post the year so we can know which way to go with the problem. Thanks!

wildlfe

Cadet

Its a 1985 40 HP Evinrude Short Shaft Tiller Steer electric start. I picked it up on E-bay for $700 and no shipping.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Chris....go to the local Johnny/Rude dealer with your model number and get a rebuild kit. Also order a service manual for the engine. Get a can or two of carb cleaner and wait for the manual. When the manual comes, get it and sit down and read the fuel section front to back. Then rebuild the carb. Should be OK after that. Good Luck!

wildlfe

Cadet

Thanks for the info OBJ. I'll take your advice and hope for the best. Should I rebuild both carbs while I'm at it?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Wouldn't hurt wildfire. May save a good day on the water.

lwarren

Recruit

Referring to original chat room posted on May 7th 2003-You described my current problem perfectly. Where does one find a carb kit for a 1972 Evinrude Norseman 40 HP Model 40252...is there a web site that you would suggest? I already have the service manual in my possession.

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It would be best to start your own thread, especially when the one you posted in is from 2003. But to answer the question, you should be able to find the rebuild kits here on iboats under Johnson/Evinrude Parts.