STINKING SCREW!!!!

Well all, I removed the prop form ye old Johnson just a few minutes ago. I did this in the hopes of being able to remove the inpeller for inspection and to check out the water pump. There are three screws behind the prop as some of you Guru's noted in my earlier post. Two of them came out nicely, but the third won't budge! I oiled it down with WD-40, and LIQUID WRENCH. Now I'll wait for awhile. All I can say is that puppy is TIGHT, STUCK, WILL NOT BUDGE, etc, etc...Any suggestions? I'm affraid to torque too much for fear that I'll strip out the slot in the screw (flat head). But, on th eother hand it's gotta come out one way or the other, right?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Lost

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: STINKING SCREW!!!!

Not sure but most impellers are not behind the propeller but at the base of the power drive shaft that runs down the insde of the housing and powers the lower unit. To access those you need to disconnect the shift linkage rod and remove the screwes that retain the lower unit "as a unit" to the motor midsection.<br /><br />Get ahold of one of those impact screwdrivers that you hit with a hammer. (sears sells a good one) <br /><br />Or use a propane torch to heat the screw and the area well. Then rap the screwwhead with a hammer blow. Fit up a freshly squared off perfectly fitting screwdriver in the screw and grab the shank or handle with pliers for leverage.

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

Just wait a while to let the LW work. I have a Jeep Cherokee that is notorious for siezed bolts, and we use PB Blaster to soak the suckers, then wait up to a few days. Go eat some dinner, then try it again.

alcan

Commander

Hi Lost<br />Be cool, this ain't that big of deal. You just need an impact driver. These are hand held, hamer driven tools. They are just the ticket for this situation. They don't cost much. I bought a cheep one over 30 years ago and I'm still using it. I had to buy new bits from time to time. You might want to practice with it first, just to get the feel of it. Also before you attempt to remove your screw warm up the area just a little. A lamp or heatgun should be enough. Or very carefully use a propane tourch. Just nice and warm, not hot.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the advice. This board has been so helpful! And this is just the first motor. Just wait I've got motors that won't even turn over, let alone just stuck screws.<br /><br />Thanks Again,<br />Lost

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought one cheap (impact screwdriver) at harbour freight. They're used a lot on motorcycles since they have screws for some reason that are supposed to be tighter than screws normally are. It's a great tool. But a trick you can try is to try to TIGHTEN the screw up some first, then out. Might try this back and forth a few times. That also helps to work the penetrating oil in.

bubbakat

Captain

lost alcan is rite you can't work on an outboard motor without an impact driver wouldn't be without mine

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

To go along with alcans suggestion of an impact wrench, harsh language usually has a soothing effect on the user. :D :D :D <br /><br />The guys are right lost, I would not be with out an impact wrench in the shop. Let the Liquid Wrench work overnight and have a cold one. Tomorrow night, go back and give it a whack with the wrench.

alcan

Commander

One more little tip. Position the lower unit on a solid bench. Nose down, prop shaft up. Because the nose is rounded, you won't be able to get it quite vertical, but get it as close as you can. You will need as solid a backing as posible. this will help your impact driver work better. Remember we're not trying to beat the thing to death, not killing snakes here. Do take well aimed solid blows with a fairly heavy hammer.

Well I fianlly got the blasted thing to move, but it was only to tighten it. Now I can't get it to go back. Still have it soaking in LR. I'll keep you posted.<br /><br />Lost

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So why are you removing this screw to get to the impeller? You can't get there from here. Atleast not on any motor I've seen. As Yepblaze says, the impeller and waterpump are in the mid section or leg of the motor, above the lower unit.

LuckyFish

Cadet

Roscoe it depends on the motor the 95 2.5 Merc has the impeller on the prop shaft.<br />Lucky

alcan

Commander

Yes Roscoe, Lost is working on an old johnson TD20. The empeller is located on the prop shaft. It is a somewhat different looking deal than the modern empellers most of us are use to. The system used on these models is very basic. I believe this system to be quite harty, I don't recall ever having one that didn't work. I don't think this style of pump can move any great volume of water. But it does the job just fine for the TD20 and has been doing so for the past 50 years or so.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Cool, thanks, you can learn something new everyday. I was kind of wondering... and figured some of you new something I didn't.<br /><br />I guess that does make some sense on a motor with no transmission and the prop shaft is always turning.