warning lights 150 Johnson

dws111111

Recruit
I have twin 1992 150 johnsons on a hydrasports 2450 vector. one of the engines trouble lights located on the tach. all come on at once (i.e. low oil, no oil, check engine, hot) the motor runs great but every so often the lights come on and might stay on for 10, 20 seconds up to several minutes, if i turn the key off and back on quickly the lights go out and stay out for awhile. this may happen 10, 20 times in a day of cont. running. the rpm's can go the full scale (not limited to under 2500) while the lights are on. thanks for any help

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: warning lights 150 Johnson

1992 engine did not come with this tach or wiring harness to operate the lights.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

But there is/was an adapter cable to convert non-system check engines to utilize the gauges with the LED's.<br /><br />If all of the lights are coming on and staying on, either the logic circuit (inside the gauge) is failing, or somewhere between the dash and the motor, the harness has rubbed thru and the wires are shorting together.<br /><br />I would suggest swapping the gauges between the 2 engines. If the problem moves with the gauge, replace the gauge. If it stays with the same engine, break out the gremlin finder...<br /><br />-John

dws111111

Recruit

Thanks for the input, I have switched tach's. and the lights continue to go on and off, the horn is not hooked up or does not work so possibly this problem was evident before I bought this boat. The other 150 motor does fine but I did notice the wireing harness conectors at the motors were diferent the one with the light problem has a red round connector and the other one has 2 rectangle connectors. I did test the overheat sensor wire bo grounding it and all of the lights came on on the problem motor but only the engine hot light came on on the other motor. Thank you once again for the input I have very little knowledge of outboards and can't afford machanic, I did purchase repair manual that I just received yesterday.

dws111111

Recruit

also the boat is a 1999 with the origional guages

clanton

Rear Admiral

The engine that has a round red connector, does not have enough sensor wires in engine harness or control harness to support a system check tach.

dws111111

Recruit

Thanks for the help. I was able to find the problem sensor by isolating each one, the problem sensor is the oil tank level. I guess the next step will be getting the right harness/cables. Do you know how hard it is to make this conversion or how expensive. Once again your input has helped me a great deal, thank you

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

In the Parts and Accessories Catalog that every dealer receives annually, there are wiring and adapter kit diagrams for converting to the SystemCheck warning lites that came out in '96.