Plugs are black

DJ270374

Cadet
Hi there,<br /><br />My Johnson 6BA76A runs great now. After a short test run I found that the plugs are black and moisted. Plugs are gapped at .030" I heard that some models use a gap from .040". Could the re-gapping to .040" solve my problem?<br /><br />Thank for your reactions?<br /><br />Dennis

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Plugs are black

Hi RDennis.<br /><br />If your engine is runnung great what is the problem?<br /><br />Some books and wrenches say .030, some .040.<br /><br />.030 will give you longer plug life before regapping is required, but .040 reduces any tendency to foul.<br /><br />If your plugs are black you may be running rich, or you did extended idling/low speed running before checking them. It may also merely indicate that your engine is 27 years old. <br /><br />See what they look like after running at high rpm for a while.<br /><br />Are you using Champion J6C? If not, get some.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

alcan

Commander

Hi dennis<br />What JB says is true. If plugs are a little black and sooty and the motor is running well, leave it alone. If you feel it is running just too rich at hi speed, readjust float level. It won't need much adjustment.

alcan

Commander

Hi dennis I was just reading another post to which you replyed to. You stated that you ended up with a 2 1/4 turn setting on your low-speed needle. This may be ok. How ever most of the time I find the starting setting of 11/2 to be a little on the fat side (most times not all). Make sure that the throtle plate is completely closed when making this adjustment. Just a thought as to your black plug situation. Also make sure the packing nut on the needle is snug, so as not to leak air.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Check to see if you are running the correct (heat range) sparkplug.