OLD JOHNSON???????

Hello, all. I attended an auction this weekend and purchased several old out board motors at the auction. My first Project out of the bunch is an old Johnson Sea Horse. I don't know much about the motor, but here is what I do know: the Serial #: 712732 and the model #: TD20.<br /><br />Does anyone know anything about this motor? Age, year built, horse power, where I might get a manual, parts?<br /><br />I started to piddle with the motor last night. I checked for spark, and boy does it throw a spark! Cleaned the carb as best I could without taking it off. (I don't have much luck with carbs as things go) This evening when I got home from work I tried some starter fluid in the carb and gave her a yank. THE BLASTED THING WANTED TO RUN RIGHT OFF OF THE SAW HORSE!!!! I was grinning ear to ear at that point! Now that I know the motor will run I would like to restore it as best as possiable. Before I try too hard at getting it to run I was wondering where the water pump is located? I would assume it is at the base of the motor, but I really have no idea. Any Suggestions? Will running it for a few seconds to see if the water pump works, destroy the pump if it doesn't? Any help that any one could give would be greatly appreciated, as I have never tinkered with and out board before.<br /><br />Thanks In Advance,<br />Lowell

D

DJ

Re: OLD JOHNSON???????

lowell,<br /><br />First off, do not use starting fluid in an outboard. It contains no lubricant and will damage the engine. If anything, put a mixture of gas and outboard oil in a spray bottle.<br /><br />The water pump is located just above the foot of the engine. The foot comes off to access it.

alcan

Commander

Hi Lost<br />Your TD20 was made in 1949. It is a 5hp the fuel/oil mix ratio is 24:1. There is a cover behind the propeller, I believe it has three screws in it. This is where your water pump empeller is located. Don't use any more of that starting fluid. There is no oil in it, it's not good for your motors and it is not necessary. If you need to make tests, use pre-mix fuel in a squirt/spray bottle,etc. These motors are quite comman. A lot of guys still use them on a regluar basis. Check the public library for manuals and info. You may have to ask in the refrence section.

djohns19,<br /><br />Thanks for the fast reply. Didn't know about the starter fluid, just wanted to see if it'd kick. Will most deffinately use the Marine gas in the spray bottle trick in the future. Pardon my ignorance, "foot of the motor"? Not really sure where this would be and what I'm looking for here.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Lowell<br /><br />PS: this will be the first of many posts I'm sure as I was able to get 8 outboards this weekend. Again Thanks!

alcan,<br /><br />Thanks! That's great! I was thinking maybe 1960's? Off just a little huh. 5HP, outta push the john boat nicely.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Lowell

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

NO, NO, NO!!!<br /><br />Your fuel mix is 24:1. 1 quart TCW-3 oil to 6 gallons of unleaded regular gas.<br /><br />OMC didn't change this until 1964, when the line was all needle and ball bearings.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

alcan

Commander

Thanks J.B. I edited my post. I made a booboo.

The fuel mix is 24:1? Does this mean that I can use standard 50:1 Marine oil just mixed twice as strong? Does any one know where I might find parts for this motor? Does anyone know f this motor is prone to any particular porblems, ie: water pumps going out , carb problems, etc, etc?<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Lowell

alcan

Commander

Yes in deed. I believe JB instructed to use one quart of tcwIII oil to six gals. of gas.