Fuel Separators

mrom1234567

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just installed 2 Racor water separators with plastic drain bowls. The instructions say to fill them with fuel before screwing them on.<br />If I do not fill them, can I open the drian valve as I prime the bulbs to release air?<br />Or should I fill them with fuel first?<br />These are direct replacements for filters that were there already.<br /><br />Michael

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Fuel Separators

If those are diesel fuel filters it is important to get all of the air out of the lines. If you don't it can cause an air bubble to block the injector lines. Gas engines you can just pump fuel thru. Note: the Racor gas filter and the diesel filter are not the same and should not interchanged.

mrom1234567

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It is gas and my Yamaha motors are carburated.<br />Is it ok to just prime my bulbs until the air is out?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mike, Just prime the motors until the air in the fuel line is gone. It's the same as if you ran out of fuel on a 6 gallon tank and switched to a full tank.

mrom1234567

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks,<br />I just squeezed the bulbs and they filled right up. Hope this clears up my problem. One of my motors seemed like it was not getting fuel. it seems to run fine now. There was a lot of crud in the filters.<br />Mike