old style radio

s1jor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a mariah 180 (97) with a jenson xc7100 radio cassette. want to replace this as it is a bit tired. it has big stalks for the volume and tuning controls, these are also used to bolt the stereo unit onto the mounting bracket. i'm not familiar with this format, they dont seem to be sold like this any more?????? i was looking to put a cd player in the boat, but the mounting bracket wont let me as the cd wont fit through the mounting bracket, how do you guys mount ya sterio's, any mariah owners out there??????????????

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: old style radio

Usually the cd player has a collar that it slides into and locks. You cut a hole for the collar, mount the collar, then you can just insert the cd player into the collar until it locks. No matter what, you are going to have to do some cutting and maybe some fabricatoin of brackets, but its worth the work in the end. Good luck...

salty87

Commander

yes, sounds like you have the old knob style instead of what they call now the din style. does your dash have holes for the knobs to stick out and a square area for the deck to stick through? if so, you'll either need to open that up (cut it) or mount the new one somewhere else. i guess there's a third option....keep looking for a stereo with the old knob style. you might not find one that is a cd player though.<br /><br />if the necessary mounting equipment isn't sold with the radio, they are usually available for sale. i'd cut the dash and go for the cd player.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

I did this switch on my last boat. The newer units have a sleeve that mounts in the dash, and the unit locks into the sleeve. You will have to cut a hole (enlarge the center rectangular hole) to accomodate the sleeve, then install the sleeve in the hole and insert the radio. It's not that hard.

s1jor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah salty87, its the dash with the knobs sticking through and a square area for the deck to stick through, can you still bye this older style radio and if yes any idea where from?????????

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

I bought an inexpensive cassette player of this style at Radio Shack for my old boat as I didn't want to cut the dash.