Shelter King portable garage?

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone own a Shelter King brand portable garage? Are you pleased - displeased? How is weight and quality of fabric, poles, hardware etc...? Round style or peaked? Thanks for any input.

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Shelter King portable garage?

I bought a 10 x 20 several years ago. Had to by 10' top fence rails ( about $5 ea) to use as side poles to get it high enough to cover my cabin. Put it at about 8.5" high on the sides. The cover lasted 3 years. Not bad for less than $200. Still have the frame. Extended it to 34' long to cover my new boat. This time I had to raise the sides to 11' high by using sticks of 12' galvanized conduit. Each year I by a heavy duty cover for about $100. It's still better than throwing a tarp over the boat each week. When I come in, wash the boat, back it under the cover to dry. Protects against UV damage.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I looked into one last year to cover my 30 footer and the size I needed was around $2000 with the walls and door.Seemed worth the price but it was a little steep for me.Charlie

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Any light structure like that is susceptible to wind damage. I would be concerned if you have it in an exposed location and/or the terrain is not ideal for anchoring (for example very rocky or very soft soil).

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I don't know the brand, but I got a portable carport from a buddy of mine for free.<br />We put it up on his storage lot a couple of years ago. He said he was going to anchor it later. He never did, it got wind damaged pretty good. It had bent poles, and he never bothered with it.<br />I straightened the poles and mixed up some concrete, putting it in one gallon buckets with a big piece of PVC pipe in the middle and eyebolts on either side of PVC. I then used rope and my knowledge of knots to secure it. Each leg, all eight of them, are sitting in the PVC pipes with the rope looped up and around the T-pipe at the top of the leg and tightened with a "truckers hitch".<br />It only had the roof and one side, so I cut another long tarp in half and had the wife sew it, put grommets in it and mad another side for it. I need to go get two more tarps and make ends for it.<br />Oh, and I need a good wind to come along to test it... :) <br /><br />AK Chappy

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

AK, I'm sure that if you don't get some wind to test your shelter this winter, you can find someone at Kodiak that will lend you some... :D

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

LOL,<br />They would be glad to get rid of some for a day or two wouldn't they?<br /><br />AK Chappy

DC698

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Neil, I got a 10 x 20 King Canopy 2 seasons ago and it's lasted through 2 New England winters so far with no problems. Make sure you get the tie down kit with it to tie each side and end down. After a heavy snowfall I get any remaining snow off the top that didnt slide off. (It's the pitched roof kind)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I just bought a 10 x 20 'garage' at Costco for $159.95. People were snapping em up, left and right. I had to wait for a new shipment. It has full sides and 4 poles each side. Hope to put it up this weekend. Will post picture.

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guy. I'll look at some local varieties next week and let you all know what i came up with. There's a company in the area (Fred's Shed's) that makes a beauty for about 250 more than the shelter king but no way for me to compare side by side.

rwidman

Lieutenant

I've heard of them collapsing under a snow load and damaging the boat/vehicles inside.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> I just bought a 10 x 20 'garage' at Costco for $159.95.
I KNEW you would buckle under sooner or later Boom! Hey, its only $$$! And on tie downs for the rest of ya...I'll let ya in on a little secret. I also put extra conduit to get my canopy up high to clear the big barge, but unless it will be permanent, I just run 2 crossed 15 foot ratchet tiedowns per side TO THE TRAILER FENDERS! 7500 pounds says it aint going anywhere, and with just the trailer its still okay. Also a 12 extendable boat brush left on the swim platform will get any heavy snow off (you can push up from underneath too)...that will for sure damage the cover, so ya gotta be on your game in a storm.. Do a search on Google for "canopys" and you will find quite a list.......

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well fellas,<br /><br />Settled on the Shelter King and am pleased with materials and construction. Fully planned to sweep excess snow during big storms as I'm out to do the drive several times anyway. Already watched it stand up to 50mph gusts that wreaked havoc in the neighborhood and it didn't even budge. The beauty of it over shrink wrap is that I used the boat until the last minute and then in the shelter winterized, emptied all the hatches, vacuumed,etc... all at my convenience i.e. when it was too wet to hunt. In the spring I plann on replacing the water pump while it is still in the shed and I don't tie up the garage. Also if I'm missin' the girl in March I can go down back with a scotch and sit in the captains seat and dream of big stripers. I already miss her. Thanks Fellas

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boom,<br /><br />Just for reference I also looked at the shelters at Sam's Club - probably the same or very similar brand. The poles on the Shelter King are probably twice the diameter(1 5/8") and there are six trusses for the 20ft span. At 20x12 I fit the boat and also had room for two push mowers, wheelbarrow, cart for lawn tractor,lawn furniture etc..., greatly increasing room in the basement to play and work over winter. Not knocking your shelter, Boom, or trying to sell ShelterKing. Just trying to offer some comparison for anyone else who might be shopping. pray for easy winter and early spring!! Thanks. btw $523. delivered. Set up in about eight hrs alone.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Thanks neil, a day late and a dollar short, though. ;) Actually, I could of used the extra two feet wide but not the extra 340 simoleons. BTB, even though the Costco unit has only 4 poles, they are about 1 1/2" in diameter.<br /><br />I did a search and Shelter King is definitely a fine unit.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Boom,<br /><br />How's the shelter holding up?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mark.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> Boom,<br /><br />How's the shelter holding up?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mark.
It hasn't really been put to the test yet. The framework is impressive, 1 1/2 diameter verticals, 1 1/4 top tubes, all powder painted. All the pins and turnbuckles are stainless. <br /><br />I didn't use the side or end curtains, just the roof. I anchored the feet to the concrete with lead shields and stainless lag bolts. We've just had some mild winds and a bit of rain. I expect when we get a snow, I'll be out with the pushbroom, pushing it up under the roof to make the snow slide off.<br /><br />It's nice to have my boat under it, with it's cover off.