Boat Resistration Fees In your State

NYMINUTE

Captain
What does your state charge you to register your boat? By size, value, model year? Do you have fees included for lake maintenence? <br />Indiana.. 01 Rinker 212 $139.50 for 04-05 season.<br />Lake fees $35.00, also trailer plates $35.50. :rolleyes:

bh357

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Resistration Fees In your State

Watercraft regestration fees in Michigan are based on length for motorboats. Sailboats are a flat fee of $9, pontoon boats are a flat fee of $23, and motorboats range from $17 for boats under 16' up to $448 for boats over 50'. This registration is good for 3 years.<br /><br />My trailer cost $75 to register (any trailer under 2,499 lbs). Trailers are based on unloaded weight, and can go up to $300 for trailers over 10,000 lbs. The new trailer plates are PERMANENT, but are non-transferrible. So if you keep your trailer for a long time, you can come out ahead.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Here in Ontario Canada registration is done through Canada Customs and is still no charge except to buy the actual numbers/letters which must be 3in high and placed on both sides of the boat. Trailer license is $25 for life and you can transfer to another trailer.

thekingrancher

Seaman Apprentice

Here in the great state of South Carolina, i just registered my newest boat. It was $40 for a 3 year sticker. And we don't have to have anything for the trailer. LOL, I love it here.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

In New Jersey, boat must be titled and registered, and trailer must be registered. I paid $12 reg for boat, and about $10 for trailer each year. In addition to that, my drivers lisence has additional endorsement for boat and motorcycle. So my license costs more to renew than a plain drivers license. And because I am licensed to operate a boat, I MUST have a photo on my license, where before I could have a non-photo license and renew by mail every 4 years. Now I MUST go to the DMV and visit the most pleasant people employed on the face of this earth for a renewal.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

In Maryland the boat registration is a flat fee of $24 for 2 years and the tralier is $27 for the same 2 year period.<br /><br />What's a lake? :D

KaGee

Admiral

My 3 year boat sticker for Ohio was about $50.<br />Trailer license was $48 a year.<br /><br />We do not pay any "lake fees" for Erie. Those are included in the sticker fees and fishing license.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

Mark42,<br /><br />It would not be so bad if they put most of that money back into boating. The fees you mentioned go into "NJ's General Fund" to help balance the state's bloated budget. <br /><br />I'd be very surprised if more than 10% of the boating related fee's collected go back into improving your boating experience in NJ. It's probably less than 5%.<br /><br />Yes, I live in NJ and pay all the fees you mentioned above for 2 boats (12' and 20') with trailers.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by bh357:<br /> So if you keep your trailer for a long time, you can come out ahead.
??? What? You still paid $, so how do you come out ahead?<br /><br />Small boat registration in WI is $14.50 for 3 years.<br /><br />Our state constitution? or statutes? declare that registration and licensing fees are only to cover the cost of these "services", and are not to be used as a method of revenue generation.<br /><br /><br />Related post:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=005075#000000

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

In GA,<br />Less than 16 ft. (Class A) - $15.00<br />16 ft. to less than 26 ft. (Class 1) - $36.00<br />26 ft. to less than 40 ft. (Class 2) - $90.00<br />40 ft. or longer (Class 3) - $150.00<br /><br />That's for 3 years and goes to DNR. Trailers are 14.00 per year to the county. Oh, and I'll add that there are no lake fees, but those funds are derived from the boating registration and fishing licenses ($9.00 per annum).

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by thekingrancher:<br /> Here in the great state of South Carolina, i just registered my newest boat. It was $40 for a 3 year sticker. And we don't have to have anything for the trailer. LOL, I love it here.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

What a dummy.... I was gonna say hi to Kingrancher cuz we're both in Sumter but forgot to type anything before I sent it.. oh well.. Hi Kingrancher.

thekingrancher

Seaman Apprentice

hello ae708, didn't think i'd find somebody from sumter here. How bout the serial killer around here? Jesus, i've got my house on lock down right now.<br /><br />(i apologize for the hi-jack, back to the topic at hand)

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

quote:<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Originally posted by bh357:<br />So if you keep your trailer for a long time, you can come out ahead. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br /><br />??? What? You still paid $, so how do you come out ahead?<br />
You come out ahead compared with previous to 2003, when you paid per the year: around $30 for the same size trailer per year.

NYMINUTE

Captain

After just a few states reporting I can see a need for a new state motto for Indiana. How about "Gateway to Michigan" Our fees are annual, and based on the value of the Vessel. Trailers are flat fee. The value of the vessel drops (per the book) but the rates per $1000. continue to rise. On automobiles the rates bottom out at 9 years old. They are also based on value. The inland lakes are clean, but the ramps are no better than adequet. Thats why I drive to St. Joe, and New Buffalo, Mi.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

In Virginia <br />Less than 16ft $27.00<br />16ft to less then 20ft $31.00<br />20ft to less then 40ft $37.00<br />40ft or longer $45.00<br /><br />All for 3 years which sounds good............then there is the property tax. Whole other issue

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

In Maryland title transfer is 5% of boat cost.<br />If buying from a private party they are pretty lenient in letting buyer establish price paid as stated on the title.<br />Not like the Motor Vehicle Administration.

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In Colorado I pay 25.50 per year each for reg fees on my 19' & 17' bowriders. Lake fees vary but you can get a yearly park pass for 40.00

mattttt25

Commander

md is nice with the $24 every two years. add $40 a year for a tidal fishing license, but that covers the boat and everyone in it. not bad.

spratt

Lieutenant

WA State is like this: EVERY boat itn eh state gets relicensed in June of EVERY year. Trailers are licensed and tagged seperately. I just transferred and licensed my boat and trailer, which the seller wrote up as a combined sale of $300...with fees, taxes, tabs, transfer costs, I walked out paying $96.54...and have to renew the sticker on teh boat next June!! I asked them if there was a pro rata charge and the answer is NO!!! If you buy your boat and license it in May, it is due AGAIN in June!!!