Winterizing plumbing

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Any have any suggestions on anything other than r.v antifreeze I can use in boats water system? I never did get the taste of the stuff out of the water from last season.<br /><br /> Jim

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Winterizing plumbing

Have you tried vinegar and copious amounts of water?<br /><br />What about draining the entire system and pushing any water out with compressed air?

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ya did that along with a small dose of bleach, and tried water freshner. Still had a slight taste in the water.<br /><br /> Jim

Bondo

Staff member

Any have any suggestions on anything other than r.v antifreeze I can use in boats water system?
Air...??????<br /><br />Blow the System.......<br />Just like at the Cottage every year.......<br />Compressed Air..... Work from the top to the bottom..........

John Carpenter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have found that the residue from the antifreeze is easier to get rid of if I don't winterize the water heater, so I set up hose connections to isolate the water heater when winterizing. I just drain it and winterize the lines. That said, I keep a couple of gallons of water on board for cooking and drinking and just use the pressure water system for washing up. I don't drink much water on the boat ;)

balticsea

Cadet

why don't you try tabs for cleaning third teeth?<br />(in Germany these products trade under names suchs as "Corega tabs" and such).<br />Fill the tank and add some (many) tabs and let it work over night.<br />Empty all tanks and have the system flushed once. After this you can even prepare good tea with the water from the system. I reckon, most boaties in Germany do it like this...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Try running the system dry and when I say dry I mean dry and then add a few bottles of cheap gin or vodka and that will winterize and you may prefer that taste to what you have now.Charlie

18rabbit

Captain

Depends on which part of Canada you are in, either move to Florida or California. :p :D