Know your OMC YOM and thanks to everyone

benibell

Cadet
Firstly, I must just say thanks to all the people who helped me out on here. I have an Evinrude 70 1987 model which had been left dormant for a couple of years and wouldn't start. After a few messages and helpful hints and tips, I got it started yesterday and it now ticks over very sweetly. Problem was old fuel - cleaned carbs, replaced fuel, cleaned VRO unit, started first time!!!! Thanks everyone.<br /><br />On another note, there seems to be a lot of messages regarding year of manufacture. I have recently found out the following and I think it may of use to many BB users.<br /><br />OMC use the word INTRODUCES to define the year of manufacture. 2 letters from the word are used in the engine model number and therefore give you the year. The letters in the model number used are the third and second to last.<br /><br />i.e. E70TLCUR or similar would be an 87 model<br /><br />87 = CU<br /><br />To work out your engine YOM, use the following as your guide. I am not sure when this word came into use but for anything later than late 70's model, it should be OK.<br /><br />INTRODUCES<br />1234567890<br /><br />E70TLCUR - E70TL "CU" R = 87<br /><br />Hope this helps all my fellow outboard owners and thanks for all the help. I will not doubt be back when I encounter more unsolvable problems.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Ben Ibell

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Know your OMC YOM and thanks to everyone

Thanks, Ben. Very useful knowledge that I had never heard before. You may be right on years of applicability. It worked on my 1990 and 1983 OMC's but not on my 1972. Regards.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Know your OMC YOM and thanks to everyone

"INTRODUCES" only works for 1980 and up :cool: