1977 25hp johnson

oldgabe

Recruit
I have a motor that idles good but only reaches about half way up rpm wise. fuel is getting to the pump and pumping the bulb does not good to increase rpms. Ive checked the carb and the butterfly is fully opened. My only guess would be a plug of some sort in the high end jet. Does this sound feasible? Any suggestions? thanks in advance :cool:

alcan

Commander
Re: 1977 25hp johnson

Hi Gabe<br />It sounds like it is only firing on one cylinder. Check compression, check for spark. remove, disassemble and clean carb.

mark underbrush

Recruit

worn out! 2 strokes won't run on low compression. An engineer at bombadere told me the 25hp is a fluke anyhow!! He said the cylinders aren't big enough, when theyre new theyre ok, but with a little wear they loose compression. hmmmm, he gets paid the big bucks! Wonder if thats why we hear so much 'bout the 20hp? You could bore it. I have a 25, 2 0f them as a matter of fact, and theyre both worn out but show good comression!

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

oldgabe check what alcan mentions and it makes sense to clean that carb,Who knows when it was last cleaned.I have a 75 and 73 both run excellent and have great compression. mark underbrush dont believe everything you hear,Wanna buy a bridge?