1982 90hp Johnson Lower Unit Oil problem??

alanR1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I emptied the lower unit oil since I am replacing the water pump as well. First thing clear water trickled out for a couple seconds and then slightly foamy oil came out and it all finally came out but didn't look very clean. At the fill hole up higher though the oil looked very clean. Is this normal and if there is a water leak what fixes that problem, replacing the water pump?? Thanks for your help.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 90hp Johnson Lower Unit Oil problem??

Alan...a few drops of water is normal. Any more and with "milky" looking oil means you may have a seal leaking in the lower unit. If ya' do a lot of fishing or boating, pull the prop and look behind the thrust washer for a "birds nest" of fishing line. If there is none, pumping up the lower unit with air and putting it in a can of water is a sure way to find a leaking seal. If ya' find one, just do a complete over haul of seal in the lower unit. It pays in the long run.

alanR1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i will see if I can find a leak thanks.

D

DJ

alan,<br /><br />The most frequent, and overlooked, parts of L/U maintenance are the fill and drain plug seals.<br /><br />Few people replace them, thus many lower units leak.<br /><br />Get a few from your marine store and try running it again.