96 15hp Evinrude 4 stroke fuel leak,start+stop

jackp

Recruit
I just purchased a 15hp Evinrude 4stroke that has been sitting for 3 years. I operated it 6 times in 4 days so far and it is 50 degrees outside while water is only 40 degrees. The previous owner said it started and ran great. I have trouble starting the darn thing. I full choke and pull 5+ times and it doesn't fire. I wait 3 minutes, remove choke and pull 5 more times before it finally fires. Once started,it runs great. What is proper procedure for a cold start in very cold water? Where should the tiller handle setting be for start-at shift arrows? How do you stop the motor without pulling the Emergency tether? I also have fuel (1 or 2 teaspoons)pooling in back after 10 minutes of operation..it appears to be coming from carburetor but not from hose. Do I have a bad gasket or loose screws? Finally, do I have to open the bleeder valve on the tank cap while operating this motor? What has the history been for this model? What do I need to watch for?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 96 15hp Evinrude 4 stroke fuel leak,start+stop

Howdy, Jack.<br /><br />I have a '96 Johnson 9.9 4 stroke, which is a very similar engine.<br /><br />It took me a while to learn how to get a prompt start. I think you are overchoking and flooding the engine.<br /><br />Full choke and one or two pulls. Choke off. Should try to start on the third pull, then half choke til she smooths out.<br /><br />If that doesn't work I have a repair manual that covers both the 9.9 and the 15. The 15 carb is different, so if you still have trouble we can get in there and see what problem you might have with the carb.<br /><br />Yes, you must open the tank vent and pump the carb full before you try starting.<br /><br />Good luck, :)