replacing the module for the spark

madecool

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I got a question about my 60 HP 2 cylinders Evinrude 1980 I thinking about replacing the module for the spark. It is sparking on both cylinders and will run with on 1 just cylinders either one. Top or bottom. It idles and starts up good. But I took it on trip today went 4 miles it ran good till the 4 mile. Then it lost power. It would only go about 3 mph. So I took it to a calm place and <br />Checked the spark plug wires etc. Started up ran good fast for a little while then went back to running 3 mph. So started back to the dock when I put in and about a 1 mile from the boat ramp it ran good again I mean fast now full power. Now this very same thing happen to me 1 week ago. I thinking maybe it time to replace the module for the spark. Because it not compression. Not fuel problem. What else could be. Left for me to check? And would it be a good guess to replace this.

madecool

Seaman Apprentice
Re: replacing the module for the spark

Well for all that is looking for knowledge. Turns out that they call it a power pack. Anyway I looked at the bottom coil and seed like it could be bad just by looking at it and the rubber was softer than normal. So I took out and seem that this coil was a major problem the insulation on the wire would pull of with finger nails so before i but the power pack which I was told that I don't need for this problem I replace the coil on the bottom. Had take out tonight to test it ran good but I decided not to go far at night and i have say i not 100 % sure it fixed. but the coil was bad so it has to be better that it is so I will say it is now fixed. Because of the help of this forum. It encourged me to work on the engine and not give up. I must thank you all and not to forget that God may have decided to give life to this engine again. Because I did ask him also.