Re-torquing head bolts

cvlngineer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,<br /><br />I need to re-torque the head bolts on my 1975 Johnson 70 hp. I know that you have to loosen them a little, and then retorque, but do I loosen all of them before retightening, or loosen and retighten them one at a time?<br /><br />cvlngineer

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Re-torquing head bolts

The usual procedure is to tighten them all to 1/3 specification, then all to 2/3 of specs and then torque them all down completely. In a criss-cross pattern of course.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I think cvlngineer is referring to the re-torque procedure following the first warm-up of the engine.

cvlngineer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is correct, jimd. I have the torquing order, but the book doesn't clarify whether or not to loosen all head bolts and then retorque, or to simply loosen one up at a time and retorque.<br /><br />cvlngineer

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I'm going to take a crack at this hand hope that if I'm wrong that one of the pros will kick in.<br /><br />I would not loosen the head bolts at all. I would check each bolt in the same sequence as done initially. I would think that it would not be good to uncompress/recompress the head gasket plus you might increase the chance of warping the head.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Don't loosen 'um. Just go back and re-torque to the initial max. torque value.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty