1995 Johnson 150 power loss

PeteS

Recruit
The motor looses power about once every outing. Doesn't seem to matter if at idle or full power.When powered back after the cough, it tries to choke itself out. I can get it to run by letting it idle it's way through the problem, with a little throttle play, or sometimes even giving full power to blow through the rough running. Once it goes through it, it usually doesn't repeat on that outing. I have replaced plugs every year and water separator as part of the routine winterization work,with no effect. Please help if you can.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1995 Johnson 150 power loss

Sounds like crud in the carb/fuel system working its way through or maybe the opposite, an air leak. When it acts up what happens if you briefly choke it? What happens if you pump the fuel bulb?

PeteS

Recruit

I haven't tried either one but will. The boat goes in the water for the first time this year, this weekend, and I'll let you know. The problem has persisted over at least the last two seasons. Except for these isolated incidents the engine runs smooth. I'll get back to you. Thanks for your help

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I would also dump the contents of the water seperator into a glass container of some type and look for water or other crud. What you describe seems like a bit of water getting to the engine. What do the plugs look like?

Greg22

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same thing going on with my 1990 Johnson 150. See my post below. Does anyone know if a 1990 Johnson has a water seperator?