Car Fuel filter

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Is there any particular problem with using a car fuel filter in the fuel line for an outboard ?<br />This is pre-mixed fuel @50:1.<br />The boat filters were $35.00 and the car one $5:00 and look to be nearly the same.<br />The fuel flow seems not to be impeded in any way when it is connected..

shade788

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Car Fuel filter

Sorry to ask a question with in another post, but I always wondered the same thing.<br /><br />Wouldn't a car filter remove some of the oil since it is made for straight gas.<br /><br />I know you can go the other way around. My dad used a marine filter on our motorhome. He said we were getting excess water in our gas tank for some reason. I guess marine filters can remove water better than a car filter???<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> :)

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Shade<br /><br />There's no way it will remove the mixed oil, as it would be left in the filter .. every litre would have 20ml of oil which would block the filter in 10 minute..<br />Besides , the colour changes to green, when you mix it with oil, and stays green when it comes out. I was more concerned about flow rate, or restriction.

echozulu

Seaman

id be more concerned about how much fuel flow differance there is go with the water seperator not worth puking your motor for 30 bucks

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

mornin' Gary,... Shade,<br /><br />Shade, your question was inspired.<br />to the best of my understanding, that's the job of a marine "filter". They're built to catch/trap water & keep it out of the motor. of course, they can only holf "so much".<br /><br />to the original question, sure, an auto fuel filter will keep crud out of the motor, just not so sure about the design being able to "seperate" the water out. <br /><br />Don't think that a paper(or ceramic) filter can "seperate" the oil from the gas, so i wouldn't be too concerned over that aspect.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

The intention was ONLY for the removal of any foriegn objects like dirt,paint flakes, rust particles. There should be no water in this fuel as it is fresh.<br />Reason is to keep this stuff out of the carbies... :D

D

DJ

Andy,<br /><br />It's fine. It WILL NOT remove the oil from the gasoline.<br /><br />Fuel filters and fuel filter/water seperators are two different animals. Different designs, etc.<br /><br />In the past, I've always used the combo unit. Here in Arizona, water in fuel is a non issue. The humidity is 6% today. The only water around is in swimming pools and lakes. :D

RickR93

Recruit

Andy, Check out a NAPA auto parts store. They sell marine parts with there brand on them and the savings are great.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Well, I've been using the clear plastic auto filters for many years and have never had a problem. Of course, I don't expect them to seperate water, either. They will not filter out oil.

gss036

Commander

Check out BoatersWorld, they sell the whole kit w/filter for 35-40 bucks and then new filters are about 6-7 bucks. Outboards just do not like water in the heads, not worth the chance for the few dollars.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

Thanx Guys..<br /><br />Didnt expect so much feedback...<br />I'm in Australia, so some of these locations are not valid here..<br />But don't worry, we're not THAT far behind the rest of the world thanx to sites like these.