1953 Fastwin 15HP , newly acquired

1m2Indy500

Cadet
I recently paid $775 for a 16ft aluminum v-bottom boat, two post mounted fishing seats, an older trolling motor, and on the back is a very old Evinrude Fastwin suitcase motor all on a 1994 small trailer. After running the serial number at kencook.com (15012) I learned for sure that it was a 1953 15HP. From other info I have learned the oil ratio should be 24:1, is this correct? <br /> On to the next problem, the previous owner informed me he had started the motor in a barrel last year, I have been trying to start the engine here at home. On the first attempt I got the engine to fire just very very briefly after taking the plugs out and putting them back in, then that was it. My next attempt I filled the tank with fresh gasoline and the engine fired a little more but still did not run. It attempted to run on two seperate pulls but that was all I got out of it. Im guessing the carb may be gummed up. Any advice on this situation would be appreciated.<br /> Next I will attempt to recover an operating manual from here at Iboats.com, is there any fee to that and how long does it take? <br /> Lastly, Ive been told these older suitcase motors are somewhat of a collectors item. What kinda value are we talking about with these early 1950 engines?<br /> Thanks<br /> Tom

1m2Indy500

Cadet
Re: 1953 Fastwin 15HP , newly acquired

ALSO, adding to my original post, The previous owner told me it was a "short shaft" motor. How may I determine if it is? Did both the long shaft and short shaft exhist in 1953? What is the major difference in the two, i.e. how long would the short shaft be and how long would a long shaft be on the older 15hp?<br /> Thanks again

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Tom,<br /> Your motor is somewhat collectible, but value is only what someone will pay for it. Evinrude made LOTS of those motors, so there's a good supply for the modest demand. I pick up similar motors for $25-$50 all the time.<br /> As for your starting problem, check your local library for a shop manual. Even if it stops off at 1956 or so, it has enough info in it to get you on the water. Evinrude used similar carbs for a generation starting with your motor. Clean up the carb, check hoses, etc. If you're unsure about the service history, go ahead and replace the waterpump impeller - cheap insurance.<br /> Short shaft is generally defined as a 15" shaft length when measuring the transom of a boat. It measures from the flat of the transom mount to the plane of the boat bottom. On your motor it would be measured from the flat of the clamp bracket to the cavitation plate. When your motor was built the "long shaft" (20") was the exception. Nowadays, it's the norm on anything but the smallest boats.<br />- Scott

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes, the 24:1 gas/oil ratio is correct.<br /><br />Do NOT use starting fluid, as it will strip the oil from the engine's wear surfaces.

1m2Indy500

Cadet

Thanks for the info and help. Much appreciated. Today was a wasted day with rain showers all evening here in INDY. Tomorrow I will attempt to start it in a water barrel. Hopefully getting it to run without pulling the carb. If it does come to pulling it and cleaning, any suggestions on the process. Parts cleaner sufficient to soak it in? New gaskets a must? Any jets or intricate parts need special attention?

1m2Indy500

Cadet

This message board is unbelievable. I want to give congrats to all the peeps that post here and that give information, unreal proffesional job. <br /> After reading about ungodly work on some MAJOR O/B engines I feel insignificant to talk about my little suitcase Evinrude. Be that as it is, I did get the little bugger running tonight. It took some TLC and coehrsing playing with the fuel mixture knobs and choke but she is starting to come around. Keeping in mind it hasnt been started in over a year. Some nasty %&*$* came out of the water port, like oil, dead bees, bugs, scum, but overall with some adjusting of the fuel mixtures it started to run pretty decent after it warmed up. My question here now is about the controls on this 1953 15hp Evinrude. Looking for an indepth explanation of the two fuel mixture knobs, the small one next to the choke and the large one below it. The small one seems to turn about 6 or 8 times until it is completely out. The large one is a one turn varying from 1 - 6. I understand that these are for fuel/air mixture but am looking for exactly how they should be used. Only owned the engine for 2 weeks and trying to feel my way through it. It is definatly in my game plan to get an operating manual, any information from an old evinrude hand in the mean time will be a god send. <br /> thanks again and Great msg board <br /> Tom

gsnyder

Seaman

There are lots of suggestions for you on how to do what you ask, and the old motor mechanics probably have it down to a science. But I am a putterer, and here's some of the things I've done that work. First of all, buy a Seloc manual for about 15 dollars. I got a Johnson service manual from Ken Cook but it's too advanced for my meager mechanical knowledge. Yet I find it helpful for both the Johnson and Evinrude 56's. Second, on the adjustments: the large knob on the bottom is the high speed knob, the small upper one next to the choke is the low speed knob. Since you've already moved them around, close both of them completely, but gently. Open the high speed knob about 1/2 to 1 turn, open the low speed knob (the small one) about one turn. This is actually best done on the boat while underway; it works far better than in the tank. Start your motor, and bring it up to speed (fast on the throttle), and adjust the high speed until it runs the best, then reduce the throttle to slow, and adjust the slow speed knob until the motor runs smooth at the slow speed. There's more to this, but it's a good starting place. If you turn the slow speed too far clockwise, the motor will spit, which means it's too lean. I've adjusted my '56 Evinrude in the barrel, but it just doesn't quite reach the right running smoothness. If you can't get out, the barrel is good. These motors need a lot of lubrication, so be careful with carburetor cleaners and starting fluid. Some suggestions to help hard starting are to put a bit of mixed fuel into a spray bottle, and inject it that way. It sounds like you've got a real good motor. Use the search function at the top of the board, and look up slow and high speed adjustment. You'll find about a hundred bits of into.

alcan

Commander

Hi Indy<br />If you would like a copy of a period owners/operators manual post your email address and I will try to send you one. The manual is for a 10hp johnson, most of the info will be the same for your motor. A good repair manual as suggested earlier is defenatly a plus also. You ask about when to use the needle adjustment. Once you have them dialed in you shouldn't have to mess with them much. I find it humorus how many folks are still running these motors and do not understand them. I can go to just about any boat dock and see a guy pullin,cussin and spinning those knobs like he is trying to crack a safe. Once you know and understand the systems of these models you will see they are very simple, depenable and fun to use. Another problem I see is a lot of guys are not willing to go the distance with reguard to servicing and making repairs. They all want to throw $10. at the thing and go fishing (figuring it ain't worth more than that). Well you know the first trip out and it won't work(they figure they were right). Take your time make all service,repairs and adjustments at once, no suprises, Then you can enjoy your outing and your motor.

1m2Indy500

Cadet

Thanks alot alcan , I really appreciate it. Email addy is majornflfan@hotmail.com. If Hotmail wont hold the size of the file try majornflfan@earthlink.net. Today I ran the motor in the tank again and familiarized myself with the rich/lean mixtures a little more. Thanks for the info on they stay the same most of the time , I was wondering if I would need to adjust the motor for hot/cold situations. Seems maybe a little when Im using a full choke. <br /> As for preventive maintnence and repair, any suggestions for what else I may check or replace other than the obvious, low unit grease, spark plugs. Still debating if I should replace the water pump impellor just for security. <br /> I was also wondering how I could tell if this motor was starting to get HOT and shut it down before damage. Smell? , sound? , heat? , all of the above? <br /> Thanks ,<br /> Tom

alcan

Commander

Hi Indy<br />I sent that copy, it should explain most of your questions in detail. I would replace the water pump empeller, I always do with a used motor, they only $15. and are not worth taking a risk on. They are an annual service item. I would also remove the flywheel and inspect the ignition system. Don't always need to replace all these parts. If they are in good shape, just clean and check for correct adjustment. It sounds as if you have already studied the carb and fuel system. Making needle adjustments for hot and cold air temp, I sort of doubt you could tell much diff,unless your racing and every ounce counts. Extreme altitude change would be more like it. You may find it handy to adjust the low-speed needle to fine tune trolling speed. I believe this is the most common use. To determine heat without fancy tools (seat of the pants method), dip up a hand full of water from the tank and drizzle it over the head and cylinder area. If the droplets sizzle and dry fast your motor is too hot. If they just sort of roll around, steam a little and dry fairly slow, your good to go. On the water just keep an eye on the exhaust by-pass or when you think about it reach yout hand back there to see if it gets wet. With annual maint you don't really need to worry, just monitor as you would fuel supply or any thing elese. One thing a lot of folks over look is the starter rope. Also keep an extra length in your little tool kit on the boat.