Evinrude Fisherman Problem

TUMBLEWEED

Recruit
I have an older Evinrude Fisherman outboard s/n#<br />5402B-E02028. It runs like a watch, however it will kick out of gear at higher rpms. Is this<br />something I can repair myself with a new part<br />or is this even repairable?? I really would like<br />to keep it on the water without losing my shirt<br />on repair costs. Any help is greatly appreciated!!<br />Also,any help with a year on the motor??

Bear

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Evinrude Fisherman Problem

5402 is a <br /> 1964 Evinrude<br />5.5hp @ 4000 rpm <br />8.84 cu.in. = 144.8 ccm 2 <br />57 lbs. = 25.9 Kg <br />8 x 7 1/4 , 2 blade

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Weed.<br /><br />You might have worn teeth on the clutch dog or you might have misadjusted shift linkage.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

TUMBLEWEED

Recruit

Bear....Thanks<br /><br />JB The linkage seems pretty tight, so it<br />might be the other problem?? Is it a costly<br />fix at a shop???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Weed.<br /><br />Your engine is essentially the same as the 1964 Johnson CD-21.<br /><br />The length of the shifting rod is adjustable. If it is misadjusted it will engage one gear deeply and the other too shallow. Too shallow and some wear will result in it jumping out of gear. At 39 your engine is entitled to some wear.<br /><br />Get a manual and check the adjustment according to the manual. It is too complex to explain here without pictures.<br /><br />If the adjustment is correct, either the forward gear or the clutch dog is worn and needs to be replaced. You would need a manual for that, too.<br /><br />Good luck. :)