Compression before seating rings and after

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class
HOw much of a change is there in compression once the rings seat?<br /><br />I have been building an evinrude 115hp 1973. I have the powerhead complete and am waiting on finishing up the transom mount stripping and painting. Got the motor on my workbench. It was starring at me... So I go to walk outside and bump my foot on the starter... one thing led to another.... 12v battery on the bench and I was in buisiness. 150 psi on all 4. Then I got to thinking that the rings are not seated and should get more..yee gads..<br /><br />Hopefully if all goes well it will be together this weekend.<br /><br />I replaced every bolt, most all grade 8 plated with the exception of the rods and socket cap screws in the case. Had the important areas re-surfaced. Decked the block. New pistons, bearings, lower carrier, raised intake and buble exhaust(even cut out the block at the bottom like the stock one). I AM SO EXCITED and ANXIOUS!<br /><br />I really tricked out the flywheel. Aerodescent paint with a swirl(gold, blue, green, purple, yellow swirl, like on a top. Polished Aluminum bracket on top, black motor, grey on the port covers, grey cylinder water passage covers. Looks bran new inside and out. Sorry to say though.. it looks like a merc with all that black. I did the leg and LU in black as well.<br /><br />Now all I need is a boat :-\

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Compression before seating rings and after

DANG!!!! sparkroost....150 on each hole???? I am impressed. Only got 120 outta my ol' 86' 90hp. <br /><br />Seriously.....may drop a tad when warm but sounds darn good to me. You did have some lube in the there when you rolled it didn't ya?<br /><br />Now let's get real serious. <br /><br />Makin a Rude look like a Merc!!!!????? Ya otta be hoss wipped!! :D :D :D

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the same story when the stealer saw it. "what are you trying to do, make it a merc?". Sheesh!<br /><br />Motor is nice and lubed. Vascelene and 2 stroke oil. I have some papers attached to the wall, behind my work area, that were blowing around when I cranked it with only 1 head attached. I couldn't wait to install the other one to see the numbers. She sure does jump while cranking it.<br /><br />I also added 2 1/8" pipe nipples to the upper and lower intake to synk the carbs, port side. Location was not an easy task with that size nipple. I was not able to get 4 in without mounting the carbs and linkage to check for a good location. Eventually I am going to make an electric fuel primer and plum it into all 4 barbs. I haven't given it enough thought yet into making it a reality.<br /><br />G DANE, My website subscription expired as well as my domain name :( ( As soon as I figure out how to use my webspace I will post pics here.<br /><br />The kewl thing about this is that I have had a few months to work on this. At work and at home. 1 thing at a time. If I was in a rush things would not be this way, or at least is this time period. Night shift has it up's and downs.<br /><br />I still have the cowling to do. what paint to use on flexible material. RC paint(testors elastic paint)? Gel coat?

G DANE

Commander

Sparkroost <br /><br />At a car paint shop you kan buy a special primer they use for car bumpers etc. Just use ordinary paint on top. I used it on my sons motorbike - abs plastic. He even rolled with it and paint stayed on - great stuff - the best there is !<br /><br />Hit my email with a picture - I´m a quality freak myself, I end every rebuild and even some repairs painting block. I cant help it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

No way :eek: <br />"Thou shalt not ruin the 'lines' of thine motor".<br />It's in the manual someplace, I'm sure.

Paul Moir

Admiral

After all that I wouldn't consider using anything other than a two part urethane for your top coat. Tough and durable - that's why car's are painted with it.