new motor?

norton64

Cadet
Last year I bought a boat with a '78 90HP Evinrude on it. The motor got hot and locked up. A friend took off the lower unit and checked it all out. The next trip out, it got hot and locked up.All the "Peeholes" were flowing good. This time the lower unit broke something down there and there is no repairing it. Now I need a lower unit and advice on what is wrong with the top part. :confused:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: new motor?

Thermostat could be bad,could be some sort of blockage,or the pump may not be pumping right.<br /> Your freeze up could be the driveshaft from the power head to the gear box.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

norton - Take the plugs out and see if you can turn the flywheel by hand. If so do a compression check and post the reaults? Let us know.<br /><br />Be specific and tell us what happened to the lower unit and how you know that it can't be fixed.

norton64

Cadet

Well, a friend of a friend put his finger over the plug hole and said there wasn't probably five lbs. of pressure on the two left cylinders. But, someone else said if that was true, it wouldn't start. I started it without the lower unit on.(for about 3 seconds).He added that one of the carbs proly wasn't giving enough gas and oil, and overheated the cylinders. After it cooled down, it would start.<br /> As for the lower unit, it looked like it tried to throw a rod or something, and is almnost protruding out of the casing. I tried to take the driveshaft out, and broke the molding on the unit.(around the water pump).I can turn the driveshaft in nuteral, but not in forward or reverse.The unit is not on the motor.I cannot get the unit apart. thank you.