A T-stat question on 1985 140hp Johnson

Bobby D.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had the head replaced on the starboard side due to a poorly installed helicoil that was done prior to me purchasing this motor. I noticed that the starboard side ran much cooler than the port side.Getting ready to put the boat in the water I felt I should change the thermostats. I found the cause for the cooling on the StB. side. There was no rubber in the stainless steel seal holder at the bottom of the T-stat. What is the recommended procedure to remove this st st cup. Can I replace it with a more conventional seal? I couldn't find the rubber part anywhere in the head.

ob

Admiral
Re: A T-stat question on 1985 140hp Johnson

Those T/stat seats can be a bit stuck when trying to remove as they are a slip fit.Try using a piece of wood or socket and extension the same size as the I.D. of cup and work carefully side to side motion and see if the crud holding it breaks loose.Some careful prying with a screw driver works sometimes ,but be careful not to damage the casting.Was this T/stat assy already installed in the head when you got it?<br /><br />I wouldn't use any seals or parts except genuine Dealer parts to replace any components of the T/stat assy.

Bobby D.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi ob, The T-stat was in the head but no rubber seal just the remains of the ss retainer at the bottom of the t-stat.

ob

Admiral

No telling.Previous owner could have removed or it wasn't in before the head was installed.Install all new assemblies and fire it off and observe water discharge and engine temp.