Green Goo on Evinrude Motor

Magicman5269

Cadet
I have an 85hp Evinrude and under the flywheel there is some green goo, that sorta looks and feel like old chewing gum that's been left under a desk for a year. After I tooked the flywheel off, the goo orginated from a sensor that's connected to the stator. I have two of those sensors under the flywheel and both of them leaked this stuff out. I'm only assuming the these sensors are connected to the stator because the manual called it the stator.(The picture in the manual wasn't the greatest) Obvious, I'm not getting any spark to start this engine. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? If so, Is it the Stator that needs replacing? If so, where can I order a used one over the internet?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Green Goo on Evinrude Motor

Magic..... The "Stator" is the large ring that has the outer edge very close to the outer flywheel magnets.<br /><br />The "Sensors" are the smaller magnetic coils that are attached to the timer base. Their purpose is to supply approximately 1-1/2 volts to the powerpack SCR switches as the inner flywheel magnets pass by them. If either or both of those "Sensors" have melted down, I would strongly suspect that somehow 12 volts has been applied directly to them which would destroy them quite quickly.<br /><br />Note.... It would help if you listed the year of that 85hp Evinrude.

Magicman5269

Cadet

Joe,<br /><br />The sensors that I am referring to are conected to the stator. the year of the motor is '73. I have a part number for a replacement stator. #581225 ( Icalled around and that's the number someone gave me) Will this replacement part have those sensors attached to it?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

They are actually called charge coils and yes they are part of the assembly as shown. Make sure the melted "goo" didnt get around the timer base and stop it from moving freely.<br /><br />Good luck!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Magic...... Ditto on Dhadley's post. Nothing I could add to that.