No spark on Evinrude 70HP

benibell

Cadet
I have an Evinrude 70 that has not been in the water for almost 2 years so I wasn't expecting it to start first time but when I did try I couldn't even get a spark at any of the plugs - any ideas???<br /><br />Also can someone please advise me about what to do with the VRO unit - mine is leaking and I have heard that it can be removed but I am not sure about what to do...<br /><br />One other thing. Can someone tell me what year the engine is, the serial number is 1439262 and the model number is BE70TLCUR.<br /><br />Many thanks in advance<br /><br />Ben

D

DJ

Re: No spark on Evinrude 70HP

benibell,<br /><br />Check for a fuse under the hood of the engine. It's usually on the same side as the starter.<br /><br />Are you sure your VRO is leaking or the lines going to and from it?

benibell

Cadet

Someone mentioned a fuse to me but I haven't seen one, will have another look. What exactly is the fuse for?<br /><br />The VRO unit is not leaking from a pipe, it's leaking from the unit itself, the mixed fuel section by the looks of it.

D

DJ

The fuse is to protect the electronics in case of a loose or backwards battery connection.<br /><br />The fuse will be in a rubber casing. It looks just like a wire connection. As a matter of fact, it might not be a bad idea to disconnect/reconnect everything you can find to make sure you have ggod contact.<br /><br />Do all of that with the battery disconnected-of course.

D

DJ

Yes, there are VRO bypass kits available form John/Rude dealers. Someone will come along with the part number.<br /><br />There are also rebuilt VRO units available.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

It's a 1987 model.<br /><br />You said "no spark", so I'm assuming the engine does crank over when you turn the key, it just won't start.<br /><br />Do you have the emergency stop lanyard (kill switch) attached to the button?<br /><br />If yes, eliminate the stop circuit next - If still no spark, we'll need to trouble shoot the ignition system. To eliminate the stop circuit, find the 3-wire connector coming out of the power pack, disconnect it and carefully push the black with yellow stripe wire out of the engine harness side of the rubber connector (use some WD-40 or spray silicone to make removing it easier). Reconnect and check for spark again.<br /><br />-John<br /><br />BTW - the Premix Conversion Kit djohns refered to in p/n 438402

benibell

Cadet

Thanks for all the help guys. I will try these this weekend. Do I have to buy a VRO bypass kit or can I just connect the 50:1 mixed fuel straight to the fuel intake?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

benibell <br /><br />{EDIT} John from IL is correct. I mis-posted to the wrong question.

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

If it's leaking from the body of the pump (as I understand from your previous post), replace it.<br /><br />-John