1960's Evinrude 40 - sealing Shift Rod

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I recently bought another lower unit for my 1960 Evinrude Lark 40. The seller stated that it was pressure tested. He forgot to mention that the pressure was zero.<br /><br />The pressure is leaking from the mechanical shift rod's passage from the gearcase. This is something I have trouble understanding. There is no obvious seal, or anything that looks removable in that passage. The parts catalogs (assume this is a typical 1960's lower unit) show a bushing and a seal and a gasket. However, these must have been pressed into that passage at the factory, as they are not visible. <br /><br />I think this design is typical for many years and models of OMC outboards. How do you seal a leak in the shift rod passage?

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1960's Evinrude 40 - sealing Shift Rod

You split the lower section and remove the prop shaft, bearing and gears. You then remove the shift rod and using a punch that just fits the hole from the top side you drive, from the top side, the bushing and o-ring out. then you install a new o-ring and the bushing.The bushing should remove easily. Just make sure you are using a punch that is larger than the hole in the bushing but fits into the casting.

alcan

Commander

Hi lark<br />This job is so much easier if you stop by your local dealer and order up a punch, it's a speical tool. If they can't order one for you, ask to have a look at theirs so you can copy it.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bill H,<br /><br />So, if I understand what you're saying, the bushing has an inside diameter somewhat narrower than the casting. A long drift pin should then carry it out. <br /><br />Also sounds like the seal and gasket shown in the parts catalog are hardware store items.<br /><br />Correct me if the above is wrong. Thanks Much.

bhalsdorf

Petty Officer 1st Class

You are right about the holes. The o-ring may not be found at a hardware store. It is not a standard sized o-ring. I bought mine from the guy below. He should have more.<br /><br />benren@mhcable.com

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you've gotta take it apart far enough to replace the o-ring, you might as well replace all the seals. NAPA part #18-2686 has all the seals you'll need to completely redo that unit. Shouldn't cost you too much, either - around $20.00 for the kit...<br />- Scott