Newbie buying boat.

tech181

Cadet
Hello everybody,<br /> Well I am buying a used boat with a New Unregistered 2000 150HP Evinrude with two year warranty from reputable dealer and was wondering if this motor is any good.( Boat is 2001 23WA SeaFox ) Many good news about the 2003's Engines but not too much on the 2000's.<br /> Any comments or help will be certainly appreciated. Thanks Randy in Jupiter Fl.<br />P.S. Please dumb it down for me as I am new to the world of Boating.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Newbie buying boat.

Hi, Randy. <br /><br />Expect to need that warranty. Make sure it covers everything that can go wrong with the engine.<br /><br />The 1999 and 2000 Ficht injected V6s were the worst engines OMC ever made.<br /><br />Were it me I would ask for a different engine, even if I had to pay a few more bux for it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

tech181

Cadet

Thanks for your help will go ahead and get a different engine.<br />Any suggestions will be very helpful.<br /> Your help is appreciated!

Welcome to Boating,It's a good idea to know how to maintain your boat especially your motor. I can direct you in one particular area (Gear Case). You should Know when to change water pump, and some tips on preventive maintenance. I would get in touch with Shipe Shape T.V,772 219 4803 and ask for the tape on gear case #803. This show is a must have. You won't be sorry. Enjoy your boat.

plugger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ecuse me ........<br />topic touched on some thing i was wondering<br />just starting to get into doing my own work <br />i bought lower unit oil and squeze pump assembly .... how many ouart sz<br />bottles ? 115 john (99)<br />now for something im not ready to taclkle (mabey later)<br />what can you expect to pay a yard<br />mechcanic for the water pump/impeller<br />replacement (total) ball park

tech181

Cadet

I will be getting HPDI 200hp Yamaha on the 23ft SeaPro WA.<br /> They are new and hope it is a good motor.<br />I know even the best can have problems but hopefully the odds are good.