75 evinrude wont start after tune up.

mookieo2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 75 evinrude 115hp, It ran great when I drove it out of the canal, I rebuilt the carbs,fuel pump, changed impeller and lower unit seals. When I reasembled it, it wouldnt start. If I keep cranking the engine I will get a pop and a lot of smoke shoots out the exhaust. Someone told me the timing might be 180 degrees off. If thats the case how do you adjust the timing w/out the engine running?

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 75 evinrude wont start after tune up.

Sounds like you might have gotten the spark plug wires on the wrong spark plugs.<br /><br />If you look carefully you may see numbering at the distributor cap area. (if it has one) <br /><br />The cylinders are sometimes numbered on the head, or starting from the top, down.

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your flywheel key is sheared.

D

DJ

Mookieo2,<br /><br />Agree with Yepblaze. It's a common (misplacing plug wires) mistake. Done it myself.<br /><br />Each coil is attached at each cyliner and has a plug wire. The corresponding coil goes to that cylinder.<br /><br />you could have the timing 180 out. Did you remove the flywheel? If so, just remove it and turn 180.

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe not... I thought at first you said you drove out the canal, then it basically quit. Had to re-read it again. :eek: :eek:

mookieo2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The plug wires are not on backwards and the flywheel key looks good, the motor turns but wont start or try to start. it ran great right before I did the mechanical tune up, I didnt take the flywheel off until after it wouldnt start and the key looks good. I checked for spark and when I pull the plugs out and ground them I get spark. I know it is probably something easy because I didnt touch anything except take the lower unit off and the carbs but Im at a loss. Almost ready to bring it to a mechanic.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Check the timing linkage and make sure it's coming back to the stop(Fully Retarded) when the throttle is at idle. MAke sure everything is connected. Might have messed up the linkage when you did the carbs.

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

check your kill switch wire on the back of the powerpack. Bottom left wire. Disconnect it and check resistance to ground or try to start. If it starts you will have to use that wire to shut it off or choke it out.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

OK - you have spark so its not the kill circuit or ignition. The popping out the exhaust is because its firing when the exhaust port is open. <br /><br />When the guys suggested the spark plug wires they were talking about them being crossed not backwards. The 4 coils are mounted on a plate on the top rear of the powerhead. The way they are mounted is opposite from each other. IE, one side will be mounted upside down compared to the other. This way when the wires run to the plugs they do not cross each other. <br /><br />Follow the orange wires out of the power pack. Each one will be labeled as to which cylinder it goes to. The orange wire labeled #1 will go to one of the coils on the starboard side. That coil wire should go to the top plug. Follow all 4 from the pack to the plug, that will verify your firing order. We're pretty sure youll find the problem. You didnt mention changing the plugs but its a safe bet that you did since you did a lot of other tune up type work. We've all crossed wires at some point.<br /><br />Let us know!

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

About 2 months ago I got stranded. Motor was starting then stalling. Sometimes running, then sometimes not. When cranking I had spark on the 2 port plugs. I didn't even look at the starboard side first off. Checked starboard side, no spark. fiddled with it a little more then I had spark on the starboard side. Wierd... Was the ignition switch. Partially shorted to ground. It would also POP/backfire once in awile when starting to fire cause I had so much fuel in there it fired and POW. <br />I think it was an unusual situation.

xskater23

Seaman Apprentice

So I take it your good to go Sparkroost?

mookieo2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The spark plug wires are not crossed because I only just changed the plugs after it wouldnt start and the way they are routed they will only fit where they are supposed to. I pulled the plugs out and turned the key to get out any extra fuel if it was loaded up. I also disconnected the wiring harness and jumped the solenoid to see if the key switch was bad and no changed. <br /> :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

sparkroost

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good to go fishing tomorrow morning/afternoon. Can't wait till I get outta here(work, although I am not doing much)

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

If in fact you do have spark and its there at the right time you should squirt some premix gas into the carb throats (take off the airbox) and see if it fires up. If it does you gotta rethink your carb rebuild. If it doesn't you probably don't have as much spark as you thought or the timing or order is off as said above.