64 evinrude impeller

gtcjon

Cadet
How hard is it to put a water pump impeller in? I do <br />most all my own car maintanance and I'm not intimidated by mechanical work I'm just an outboard rookie. Should I take in to the local boat shop or try it myself?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 64 evinrude impeller

gtcjon<br /><br />It's not that hard to do, but you will need a Manual you lead you through it. Basically, you remove the lower unit, which is held on by 4 or 5 bolts to the powerhead. You will have to disconnect the shift linkage, but again, no big deal. Sometimes the lower unit sticks on the powerhead(Driveshaft), which can be tough. Once it is off, the water pump will be staring you in the face. Replace the pump, using a pump kit, and reassemble the lower unit to the powerhead. This is usually the hard part. By that I mean you will need to line up the driveshaft, water tube and shift linkage all at once and push the lower unit back onto the powerhead. If you have a Manual, it will detail how to do all that on your model. If you can fix cars, you can do this...<br /><br /> Water Pump Kit<br /><br /> Factory Manual or generic Manual at bottom left of this page.